Part One// 5. Roots in Sand

"How are your classes going?"

I pouted and picked at the straps of my bag, ignoring the chaff of the seatbelt against my skin. "It's been only two days, mum." I replied.

Mum impatiently tapped her fingers against the wheel. "Does that mean you're yet to see an improvement in your performance?"

"Yes." I replied, knowing that was the safest answer to give.

"That's good." She nodded and eased the car forward slightly as the traffic moved along. "Your father and I only want what's best for you. Which reminds me, there's something he forgot to discuss with you."

I turned to face her. "What? He had to discuss something with me?"

"He wants you to intern at the company once you're done with the WASSCE. She said.

"Oh..." I leaned against the leather, temporarily rendered mute.

Mum threw me a side-glance. "It'll be a very good opportunity for you. You'll learn so much while working there, and the experience will help you stay on top of your game in your academics."

"Will the interns there to be people my age?" I asked.

"No." She laughed lightly. "Most of the applicants are graduates from the universities, and some of them are still in school. Aren't you proud of yourself?"

No. On the contrary, I felt terrified. "I'll be the youngest person there?"

Mum waved dismissively. "Don't think like that. You should be proud of getting this position. Just look at your brother. He's doing well, even though he refused to work for your father. We put so much work into you, and we'll be happy to see it pay off. Which is why you must continue to try your hardest, now more than ever."

I chose to say nothing, turning the proposal over in my head with the smooth purr of the engine in the background. I felt invisible walls close in around me. I didn't want to work at the company. How did I tell my parents I wanted to become a doctor without disappointing them?

...

I was so enveloped in my thoughts, I did not realize I was going to walk right into a wall until a hand clamped around my upper arm and pulled me to a halt. Tightly gripping the tablet in my hand, I turned and stared up at David.

He frowned down at me. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I tried to step back, but he held on fast.

Two girls coming out of the library noticed us and started whispering and giggling amongst themselves. I turned away in an effort to hide my face, a bid to be as invisible as possible, and caught sight of Adam walking over to Astrid outside the building, through the glass doors. She was speaking to one of her friends from the Debate Club next to the thick green shrubbery and hadn't noticed him yet.

"Coming here for some peace and quiet since it's free period?" David guessed, finally letting go of my arm.

Students going up and down the hallway paid us nearly as much attention as they did the Adinkra symbols on the walls. They rushed to get to their classes, and I felt precious time slip away as I stood here and made small talk.

"Yeah." I put a little space between us. "What about you? Don't you have a class?"

He stared at me like I was stupid.

"Oh." I hit my forehead. "Right."

All three Form Three Science classes had free periods at the same time in the day. Adam had once explained that it was so that we could interact with the students in the other science classes. The other programs were like that too. Something that had to do with building a community and friendship.