16

Paul sat by Estelle's bedside, his heart heavy with worry and anticipation. It had been three long months since Estelle slipped into a coma after giving birth to their baby boy, Alessandro. As he watched her serene face, Paul wondered if she could hear him, if she could feel his presence.

He had refused to name their son at first, believing deep down that it would be his wife's privilege to bestow a name upon their child. But as the weeks turned into months, the hospital staff insisted on a name to keep medical records in order. Reluctantly, Paul decided to name their son Alessandro, a name he had always loved but hadn't dared voice until now.

Every day, Paul would gently pick up the tiny bundle of joy and place him on Estelle's chest, his tender hope fueling his actions. He believed that the scent and touch of their newborn would be a powerful catalyst, urging Estelle's consciousness to wake up from its slumber.

Estelle, trapped within her own mind, could hear snippets of conversations, whispers of love and desperation from her husband. She longed to respond, to tell him that she was there, that she was desperately trying to return to the world of the living. But though her mind was awake, her body remained unresponsive.

It was a time of uncertainty and darkness, but Estelle clung to the sound of Paul's voice. It was her anchor, her link to the world. She could tell he was growing weary, his voice wavering with each passing day. But she was determined to find her way back to him, to hold him, and to meet the child they had created together.

One day, as Paul delicately placed Alessandro on Estelle's chest, tears streamed down his face, landing like sweet raindrops on her neck. Unbeknownst to him, this simple act of love triggered something within Estelle, a surge of strength she hadn't known she possessed.

The warmth of Paul's tears on her skin ignited a fire within her, and with every ounce of willpower she could muster, Estelle forced her heavy eyelids to open. The sight that greeted her was blurred at first, but she blinked away the fog of her dormant state, and there, standing before her, was Paul, his face etched with relief and love.

"Estelle! Oh, my love, you're awake!" Paul's voice trembled with joy as he cupped her face in his hands. Tears spilled from her eyes as she wrapped her weak arms around him, unable to form words but conveying all her emotions through the tightness of her embrace.

Estelle's eyes focused on Alessandro, their baby boy. She marveled at the tiny, innocent face staring back at her, mirroring her own mixture of astonishment and delight. She knew in that moment that their journey, though marked with hardships, was far from over.

As Paul held Estelle and Alessandro close, they found solace in the fact that their family was finally reunited, whole once more. In this newfound hope, they knew that together, they would face whatever challenges lay ahead, cherishing each moment as a gift of love and the triumph of their enduring bond.