21

It all began just another typical day. Andrei, my dear husband, was wallowing in solitude, sitting in the hallway of our cozy home. The atmosphere was heavy with concern, the chatter had faded into eerie silence, marred only by the occasional whisper of the wind rattling through the gapped window.
It was a painful sight. Andrei, a man always full of life and laughter, was sitting there, his knees propped up, forehead buried in his hands. Our usually vibrant living room bore witness to his frustration tonight, the scattered remnants of our evening conversations, now bathed in the light of anxiety.
Everyone tried their best to offer comfort, their words hovering in the air like confetti, but none seemed to land on him. His wall of silence was impenetrable. Deep within, I knew Andrei was yearning for my presence, to be held in my arms, to find solace in our shared warmth.

The dashboard clock on my car marked 45 minutes until my arrival home when I received a call from James, my father-in-law, cautiously hiding his concern. The urgency in his voice was terrifyingly conspicuous, but I assured him, promised him that Andrei wouldn't be alone much longer.
As my car pulled into our driveway, I didn't wait for the chauffeur's assistance. The urgency in my heart propelled me out, I sprinted to the entrance, keys jangling in my frantic haste. Bursting through the doorway into the haunting silence felt like stepping into a different dimension. My eyes scanned the room as my father-in-law gestured toward the left corner of the hall.
And there he was, his back turned toward me, looking more frail than I had ever seen him. My heart clenched at the sight, and I felt an immense tug towards him. As though sensing my presence, Andrei turned around, and our eyes locked onto each other. He rose to his feet, his eyes filled with longing and sorrow, and rushed towards me.
Before I could mutter a word, he twirled me around, hugging me like it was the last thing he'd ever do. I felt his chin rest on my shoulder, his tears mingling with my hair, soaking up all the pain that he'd been harboring.
"Where were you all these days?" Andrei's voice was drowned in agony, lost, like a child in the dark. His sorrow echoed in the room, rendering it even colder. "I missed you." The words hung heavily between us, overtaking the silence that had dominated the room before my arrival.
"I was gone only for three days, love," I comforted him, drawing circles on his back, an attempt to calm his racing heart, more for my sake than his. "What's wrong?"
His response was barely audible, a whisper carried by the wind, "You know I can't sleep without you or do anything else correctly...Then why did you go?"
Before I could muster a sympathetic reply, I heard a soft purring sound resonating from him. My heart leapt, teetering between surprise and relief. He had fallen asleep in my embrace, finding the comfort he sought, surrendering to the warmth and familiarity of my arms.
"Oh, my poor baby," I thought, love for him overwhelming me. Simultaneously, it was painful to witness his vulnerability yet utterly heartwarming to realize how deeply our lives were entwined.
Sometimes, all it takes is absence, to understand how profoundly love veils our existence in its unwavering grip. Despite everything, this moment filled me with a strange but beautiful emotion. As Andrei lay asleep in my arms, his breath rhythmically lulling him into sweetness, I knew love was not just about coexistence but about dependency, about the deep-rooted connection that binds us in inexplicable ways.
I let out a soft sigh, a delicate tear slipping past my eyelashes. I murmured softly, a tender promise, a vow whispered into the silence of our shared breaths, "I love you so much."