4: Initiation Song

The team walked into the Adidas camp like they owned it and were instantly at home. On the other hand, you started to feel out of depth with the overwhelming luxury this trip offered. Jaw dropped walking around the extravagant treehouse cabin vibe set up that Adidas had designed for a base camp for the German national team. The girls spread out, looking at the features of the lobby-type area while you followed Leah around like a lost puppy. Before it can be picked up by the rest of the squad that you were walking behind Leah's every move like a toddler, Jonas calls for everyone's attention.

"Welcome to our preseason at the Adidas HQ. As you can see, the facilities are rather impressive, and before you ask Katie, yes, we have access to everything; I saw you eyeing the basketball court up," the girls laugh, with Katie replying with, "I'm basically Troy Bolton" the laughter continued. "Anyway, I want you to unpack and meet in the dining area for lunch. I'll go over our schedule."

There is a collective nod from the girls before an Adidas staff member announces, "Hi, everyone. Please find the team sheet on the table with your name and room number, then make your way to the desk, state your number and pick up the key".

Caitlin quickly reacted with, "Do we not have roommates?"

"No, we have 58 rooms, so everyone can have a room each", the woman replied with a smile.

Caitlin pulls an exaggerated sulking face towards Wally, who gives her a gentle smack on the arm that causes Caitlin to erupt with laughter while wrapping her arms around her from behind.

You find your name with the number 31. You unintentionally scan for Leah's name, room 33. A sense of relief that whatever magnet was still keeping you close to Leah.

Your room was rustic but modern, with a dark theme. Placing your multiple bags on the floor, you collapse on the bed. You try and digest the morning you've had. Your mind is flicking through the images it had taken of Leah throughout the day, reciting the conversations, the glances, her delicate touch and the way she articulated her words effortlessly.

In true honesty, you were in shock; the most important day in your career was being sidelined by the England captain. "The fucking England captain", you spoke out loud; your brain started spiralling at the enormity of this situation. However, the moment Leah stepped out of the car this morning, you yelled her name at her, but that was it; she was just Leah.

Unpacking your clothes reminds you of the task at hand for this week. You were there to bond with the team and make an excellent first impression. Of course, you had to up the anti and give yourself a side mission of being anything and everything Leah needed throughout the week. You change into your Arsenal shorts and a training t-shirt before washing your face and reapplying a small amount of makeup to hide the sleepy eyes. Just as you're finishing up, there is a soft knock on your door.

"Hey, Y/N, we're heading to the dining room if you want to join us?" Wally asks with a smile plastered on her face, Caitlin by her side as always.

"Yeah, I'll just grab my phone and tie up my hair quickly", a friendly reply to the Swiss.

...

You're greeted by most of the team already seated. Following Wally's lead, she strolls to Leah's table, chatting with Laura Wienroither, whom you were yet to become friendly with.

"Hey ladies", Caitlin declares,

Leah looks up

"We picked up Y/N/N on the way through, the little newbie" Caitlin gives you a wink followed by a chuckle.