Chapter Seven

a/n: hey guys! omg im having such a good time writing this story. i love this story! there's so much emotion and hidden messages. anyways. this chapter will contain the end of the first verse of the song then moves onto quite a bit of filler until it goes to the second verse.

Chapter Seven

We walk in silence for a few blocks, eventually turning out of the neighborhood. I have my hands shoved in my pockets. This is the first time I've ever told anyone my secret. I didn't exactly say it, but I'm pretty sure he got the message.

I've debated a lot about telling my siblings, considering how close we are, but I've always decided not to. Just to be safe. My dad would blow up if it accidentally got out.

"I've thought about it too, ya know."

I look at Kiba, but he has his eyes fixed on the ground as we walk.

"What?" I say.

"About...liking girls or not. Or liking both."

I perk up suddenly. Kiba may be the same as me? "So what about you, then? Both?"

"Yeah. I think so."

"Cool."

We walk in silence again but not for long. Kiba says, "It's definitely more fluid nowadays. It feels like nobody is on one side or the other completely." He has his head up again, looking forward as we walk. I nod to what he's saying. Now I know for sure he knows what I was talking about, we're just not saying it. And I appreciate him for not saying it. He continues, "And people are much more accepting of it, because it's becoming more and more common."

I scoff. "Tell that to my dad."

I feel Kiba looking at me, but keep my gaze forward. "Is that why you don't want it to be true?"

"Yes."

...

After walking into town for a bit, it gets chilly so we turn and go into a nearby five-cent store. It's the only place that's open this late on this side of town. We mindlessly stroll the aisles of the five and dime, not really looking for anything, just bored.

The store is quiet and there's one other person, the cashier. He's standing at the counter with a blank look on his face. He looks to be around our age but I don't recognize him.

I hadn't really noticed the radio playing until I hear Kiba, from the aisle over, say, "Oh I love this song!"

The song has a good beat but I don't recognize it until the girl starts singing. By then I'm in the same aisle as Kiba near the front. He's swaying his body as he looks at the items on the shelf.

It's a popular song at the moment, at least on social media. It's called "Meet Me At Our Spot" and I actually kind of like it.

When the chorus starts, Kiba is dancing in the aisle. It makes me smile. He's just kind of swinging his body around but he makes the moves work. He seems to be a good dancer from what I can tell. Although, I don't know how he's not embarrassed by dancing in a store like this. Then again, there's only one other person in the place. I tear my eyes from Kiba's dancing body and look at the kid at the counter. He's looking straight at Kiba with his mouth slightly open. He's gawking at my friend. But in a good way or a bad way? Is he gawking at the awkward moves? Or gawking at his grace?

I think it's the latter. There is a bit of amusement in the kid's eyes. I probably look the exact same watching Kiba dance.

I feel a bit embarrassed knowing the cashier is watching us, but Kiba doesn't seem to mind. It's not like it's him I'm embarrassed of. I could never be embarrassed of Kiba himself. It's just what he does sometimes.