Chapter 3

Jake was lounging on his family's couch afterschool. Judith would tell him to apologize to his sister. Was Jake going to do that? No, he figured his sister might need a bit of an extra push to realize they actually had to be careful.

So instead, Jake had invited Hartley over afterschool. Amy needed someone to keep her head on straight, if it wasn't going to be Jake, then it was going to be their friendly neighbour.

Amy was likely up in her room, with no idea that she was about to make a friend. And if Amy didn't want Hartley, Jake would gladly take her.

When the doorbell rang, Jake heard his sister shuffle down the stairs. She scowled at Jake when she saw him, "Are we expecting someone?"

"As a matter of fact, yes. I invited Hartley over so you can make a friend."

"I don't need friends. I want my old life back, plotting revenge against everyone's favorite superhero, Starling." She sneered.

Jake pointedly ignored her, and opened the door. "Hey Hartley, welcome." Jake stepped aside and let her in.

"Thanks." She smiled, "Hey, Amy."

Amy ignored her.

"Why don't I make you two some snacks, and you can watch a movie or something?" Jake made his way to the kitchen, when he passed by Amy he leant down and whispered, "This will be good for you, just try, please."

"Fine." Amy muttered, "But I want a favour."

Jake nodded, "That can be arranged."

"Good."

Jake disappeared though the kitchen. He threw some chips in a bowl and grabbed two juice boxes.

He returned to the living room to find Hartley and Amy watching the superhero reality show. He placed the chips and juice on the table in front of them. "I'm going out, enjoy yourselves." He made his way to the front door.

"Thanks Jake!" Hartley exclaimed.

"Where are you going?" Amy asked.

"Job hunting." Lie.

Amy groaned, turning back to the show. Her face twisted in disgust, Jake wasn't sure if it was directed at him or the show. Jake supposed it didn't matter.

Jake's hand froze on the doorknob when he heard Starling's name on TV.

Hartley gasped, "There's Starling, she's my favourite."

Amy rose from the couch, glaring at the screen.

"Isn't she amazing?" Hartley asked. "Not even Havoc's sonic scream could take her down." She turned to Amy, "Starling totally kicked her butt."

Amy was clearly unhappy, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure she didn't."

"I'm pretty sure she did."

"I'm pretty sure she didn't."

"I'm pretty sure-"

"I'm pretty sure you should quit now before this gets ugly."

"Amy." Jake said from the doorway, "Why don't you go get a drink?"

Amy glared at him, "I thought you were leaving."

Jake shrugged, "Enough people have died in this house." He turned and left the house, closing the door behind him.

"What did he just say...?" Hartley asked.

Jake felt a grin make its way onto his face. The information was courtesy of Celia, given when she lost a game of blackjack to him. He was technically underage and couldn't gamble for money, secrets on the other hand...