August 31, 2023

Today was the day. The Byers are moving to California, leaving Hawkins, and the Party. It's currently five am, and everyone met up at the airport to say their goodbyes to the Byers.

Even Nancy came to say goodbye to Jonathan since they were really good friends. The Party had one last group hug until the next one.

"I love you guys." Dustin smiles through his tears, trying his best not to let them fall.

"We're going to miss you guys so much." Lucas says. "I love you guys too."

Max brings El into a warm embrace that she didn't know she needed right now, the only thing El could do was squeeze her arms around her. "I love you so much." Max whispers, sniffling a little.

El pulls back, bringing her hands to Max's freckled face, and wipes Max's tears. "I love you more." El smiles, then takes off a ring off her finger and puts it in Max's hands. "I want you to have this, a part of me, until you can have all of me again."

Max put it on, smiling at it. "Thank goodness you have one of my hoodies." Max laughs, wiping her tears. El laughs too. "Of course, a part of you until I can have all of you again." The brunette girl smiles. Max gives her one last kiss before hugging her once again.

Mike was having a really hard time processing what was happening right now. He couldn't believe this. He didn't want to. Will sat next to him, his head on Mike's shoulder as their fingers intertwined. "Mike?" Will spoke softly.

"Yeah?" Mike says softly.

"This isn't easy for me either."

Mike sighs. "This sucks. I don't know how to say goodbye knowing you're leaving Indiana. I'm trying my best to stay strong because I'm a ugly crier." Mike chuckles at the last part.

Will laughs and looks at him. "Your pretty face cannot possibly be ugly no matter what."

Joyce approaches them with a warm smile. "Hey honey, it's almost time to go. Are you almost ready?"

Will lifts his head up from Mike's shoulder, his smile immediately fading. "Yeah. Just a few more minutes?"

Joyce nods, smiling briefly. Will sighs as his mom walks away. "I love you, Mike. Remember, distance can't change that." Will stands up and Mike does too.

"Distance won't change that." Mike smiles, he could suddenly feel tears falling down his cheeks. "I love you more than anything."

"Please don't cry, okay? Don't think of this as a goodbye, just think of it as a 'see you later.'" Will hugs him.

"Will! Come on, we can't miss the plane." Jonathan shouts, and Mike pulls away. Will wipes his tears before kissing him. "See you later, baby." Mike chuckles dryly.

Will smiles. "See you later, pretty boy."

As Mike watches Will walk away with the rest of the Byers, his heart breaks into more pieces. He stands there, desperately trying not to cry at the airport.

Mike slightly jumps as he feels a hand on his shoulder, Nancy's. Nancy looks at him, before pulling him into a hug. Before Mike knew it, he was sobbing at this point in her shoulder at the airport. Sobbing until he felt like he couldn't breathe.

~~~

losers4life

Stantheman: i'll seriously never forgive Richie for this one

Lukiepoo: what did he do 😭

Bbevvers: are you kidding it was sm fun