Chapter Three: Banished and Good as Dead

That bloody nightmare really had me scared today, ruining my whole entire mood and making it foul. Whenever I glanced over at Mjolnir, I was always worried that it would come flying towards me. Or that Thor would bring it down on my head, smashing it in until I had no idea what had even happened. I wouldn't end up in Valhalla, I'd be remembered as the kinslayer princess, and no one would ever love me again. Because that's what I don't really deserve right now.

I glanced up from my breakfast plate, my palms aching from being clenched in a fist for too long. Father looked up at me and his kind eye met mine while his other one was obscured by his eyepatch, "Astrid. What is it, my daughter?"

"... Nothing, Father." I looked away.

"Where are your brothers, love?" Mother asked and I looked over at the two empty seats, where my brothers were supposed to sit. I curled a strand of shimmery orange hair around my finger before shrugging with an apologetic expression.

"I'm not sure, Mother." I whispered, "I don't know where Loki and Thor are. They're just...skipping breakfast, I suppose."

"Hm." Father made a disapproving noise, "I see. Well, if you find them, make sure that you tell them to make breakfast next time. Having breakfast as a family is important, isn't it?"

Mother touched my hand and stroked it, "Yes, of course it is, Odin."

"I can try and go looking for them." I suggested, "Maybe they're just goofing off here in Asgard, forgetting that it's time for breakfast." I got up and smiled at my parents, "Please excuse me."

Father frowned and Mother looked over at him, "What is it, Odin?"

"It's nothing, really." Father murmured, looking out the window.

"When you say it's nothing, it's usually something, Father. I know from personal experience." I muttered the latter comment under my breath, just so my parents wouldn't make a big deal out of it. It really wasn't necessarily a big deal anyways.

"Thor and I had an argument about... the frost giants that invaded our treasury a few nights back. Do you remember that, Astrid?" I nodded, biting my lip. Some frost giants had come after the treasure that we had left in our treasury. It was... mildly concerning. The Destroyer killed them eventually, but it was still a mystery as to how the frost giants managed to get into Asgard.

"I remember that, Father." I remembered Thor's harsh words and how Loki and I had just stood silently against the pillars, our lips tight, our hearts sinking. Watching people fight was the worst. I hated it. But it happened, so...I can't change anything. "It's hard to forget." I added later on.

"I'm worried that your brothers somehow ended up in trouble with the Frost Giants." Father mused, "I can feel it, almost." He touched his eyepatch unconsciously, where he had lost his eye in the battle of Jotunheim. "I hope that Loki's alright..."

"Why Loki? Are you not worried about Thor?" My eyebrows crinkled together, just a little bit. Father frowned, as if I had said something I wasn't supposed to, but he didn't say that.

"Thor seems more like the mischief maker. He just takes Loki along with him all the time, is all." I snorted and muffled a laugh. Father looked over at me.

"Darling, why are you laughing?" Mother asked.

"I'm sorry, Mother, Father." I whispered, shaking my head, "It's just that you said Thor is the mischief maker and Loki is literally the God of Mischief." I snorted, "The irony just humored me."

"Oh." Father smiled and stroked my hair, "I'm glad that I've made you laugh. But for now, I'm afraid... Where are my sons? You know that Thor never misses breakfast."