Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

LXVI: Something Truthful (Part One)

It should be late already, for even the crickets had stopped chirping. For a heartbeat, she did nothing but enjoy the warmth of Tai's cheek on her thigh, their breathing brushing the exposed skin underneath her ripped jeans. It took her a long moment, but she finally managed to say,

"I get it, Tai. I don't blame you." She licked her lips and slipped her hand away from theirs. "And just so you know, I wasn't alone. I had Kiki, Granny, Numa...and...uh. M-my memories of you."

Tai lifted their head, eyes widening.

"Must be a Zombie thing." She brushed a lock of their dark hair behind their ear and chuckled. "You looked great with that long braid."

Tai gripped the ropes of the swing and hoisted themself up. "Mara...did you...recover...?"

"Some of it, yeah. But I was too afraid to tell you all. Life as a Zombie was a fucked up thing, T." She chuckled, but as much as she tried to stop it, there was a tremor in her voice. "I was so hungry and angry all the time. I didn't know what I could eat—I didn't eat meat. Mostly. The exception is Teresa, that mermaid, but I feel like you already knew that."

"I-I...had my..." they trailed off, lips pursing as if to say, go on, please.

"And I heard things. Smelled things. Tasted things. And I'm so much stronger. Tai, you wouldn't believe it."

"Strong enough to fight a mermaid and a whole squad of Sents, yeah, I saw it with my own eyes," they mumbled with amusement. "You look happy talking about it."

Mara breathed in, hummed, and breathed out. "I guess I am. After weeks of being terrified, I don't have to hide this anymore. It feels...so good." She let out a laugh. It was a burst of joy and relief that came from deep within her chest, and it was so pure, so strong, so fresh, she could barely understand what it was. "I'm...myself again. Despite being different."

And as she rested her hands atop Tai's, she knew that the surge of feelings was acceptance, just like King Çaíra had said. It came from herself, sitting under a patchwork of shadows and moonlight...and it came from Tai, their expression filled with affection.

Tai let go of the ropes and stood. "I'm happy for you, Mara."

Mara chuckled as Tai leaned in for a hug she welcomed. She brushed their hair away from their beautiful eyes and leaned in. Tai towered over her, a soft smile on their lips.

But the feeling of skin against skin did something to her body. Her breathing became heavier, hot against her cold lips, and a familiar feeling came back. Hunger.

"Mara?"

"Huh?"

Tai raked their fingers through Mara's hair and stopped them at the back of her neck. "Is it okay if I ki—?"

They didn't have time to finish their sentence. A loud crack echoed overhead, and gravity pulled them downward. Mara and Tai gasped and fell on the high grass atop each other. They laughed a little, tangled in each other's arms. At their side, the broken ropes of the swing still moved back and forth.

Mara licked her lips and ducked her gaze; the intensity of Tai's gaze was way too much for her.

"I think I should...."

"Yeah," Tai mumbled. They sighed and got up. They seemed conflicted for a second—and then, they offered her a hand. "C'mon. I'll walk you home," they said in an overly-silly tone.

Enough to actually make her feel at home.

***

"I'm just saying—I saw most of them going through the elevator with Jano," Frejat repeated.