7

Name: Economic Order of Islam [Potential and Challenge]Author: Shahed AliPublisher: Islamic Foundation BangladeshPages: 18

Author: Shahed Ali
Publisher: Islamic Foundation Bangladesh
Pages: 18

This is a very rare and classic collection from the Islamic Foundation Bangladesh's golden age. I bought it from the main selling branch of IFB (behind Baitul Mukarram Mosque). Maybe the writer was famous in his time. This booklet was first published in 1978. This is the fifth edition, published in 2005. He was a fiction writer and a member of the provincial assembly of the former East Pakistan. He died in 2001.

INSIDE THE ECONOMIC ORDER OF ISLAM:

Economy is indeed one of the necessary faculties of mankind's lifecycle, but how the rules and fundamentals of economy apply to our lives is the question. Because there is a distinct relationship between our ethics and morality, our deeds and socio-political activities with economics, it is deeply rooted. Islam is not regarded as a ritualistic or just spiritual religion; it's a complete code of life and universal order for all mankind. Therefore, Islam has an economic system of its own. Shahid Ali addresses in this book the core and fundamental concepts of Islamic economics (with a kind of comparison with capitalism too) and its applications in the Muslim world, along with discussing its potentiality and challenges. As we understand from the above words, the author divided the book into two parts.

(I) the basic concepts of the economic order of Islam; (II) the realities

The writer pointed out in the first part the indivisible bounding of materiality on spirituality in life, the source of wealth and its ownership and property, sustainance, consuming rights of god-given (non-believers say natural) resources and consuming of self-earned wealth, dealing with harmful resources, self-reliance, and at last, he shows proof of all of his concepts in society in reality in Medina during the ruling of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). He wants to show that what we say is not utopia and daydream; it's really applied in society, and it works.
Then he started the second part, entitled "Coming to Realities," where he brought the philosophical blueprints of applications of Islamic economics in Muslim countries on nowdays. To know this, you have to read this book fully. I don't want to spoil. 😁

The book is very short but comprehensive, organized, and logical. Although due to comprehendity, some parts of this book seem to be very short and incomplete. For example, the second part of this book looks like so simple and general discussion, but there are many scopes in its application. Actually He just touched on the main point here. And remember, the author dealed with "what" questions, not "how" questions, keep it mind.

I am really amazed by the ayahs of the Quran that are cited in this statement. I have read those ayahs (with meanings) many times, but I never thought before that these ayahs could mean or indicate these things.

This booklet will be suggested for those who eagerly want to know the fundamentals of Islamic economics and its applications in modern society. The reader should have a basic understanding of how the economy works. Happy Reading.