Chapter 1

[Key]

Ah London. Its sights, its smells... It brought a smile to my face. I hadn't seen it since that time years ago when I'd come here for a TV show, but now I was here alone, and that was just how I wanted it.

I'd been really busy these past couple of months with seemingly endless comebacks and promotions, so I decided to treat myself as soon as my schedule cleared up.

Throwing my luggage down in the apartment I'd rented, I decided to unpack later, as there'd be plenty of time for that in a month. Instead, I wanted to get started on sightseeing right away. I had bought myself a map at the airport, and there was a museum I wanted to see not too far away. In fact, I could probably walk there.

Taking a bit of time to spruce up, I set off on my journey. I was pretty sure I knew where I was going, so I admired the scenery as I walked, hands in my pockets, taking note of places I'd maybe go shop at later.

It was only when I saw the same set of shops again that I began to realise that I was walking in circles. Confused, I looked at the map again and attempted to correct my steps, but it was clear I was hopelessly lost.

I felt frustration build in me. How could this happen when I was so organised normally?

The streets were full and people were just rushing by, looking far too busy for me to disturb them to ask for directions. Spinning around a couple of times in my desperate search for assistance, my eyes settled on a bus stop where a lone woman was standing. She didn't look too busy, so surely it wouldn't hurt to ask her?

"Excuse me, Miss..."

The woman turned around to look at me, and I noted that she was dark skinned, with long black hair and thick eyebrows which framed dark brown eyes.

"Do you know where this is?" I pointed to where I wanted to go on the map and she cocked her head to one side, thinking.

"Do you mind if I take a look?"

"Of course not."

I handed her the map and she examined it closely before handing it back to me.

"I know where that is, you'll just have to go up the road and take two lefts... And then at the crossroads go right..."

I nodded, frantically trying to remember what she was saying. Maybe my uncertainty showed on my face because she stopped and smiled at me, a beautiful smile, revealing a dimple in one cheek.

"You know what, I'll just take you there. It'll be faster."

Hoisting her bag up on her shoulder, she set off before I could say anything and I had to jog to catch up to her fast pace.

"I'm sorry I'm bothering you," I started but she waved me off.

"It's okay, I'm actually really bad at directions. She laughed, her hair bouncing off her shoulders. "This is the only way to ensure you don't get lost forever."

I laughed too, following her meekly as she walked. I wasn't usually shy, but sometimes when I was abroad words failed me, and this was one of those times.

"Do you live here?" I eventually managed to ask.

"In London? Yes." She smiled. "But I'm not from around here. Where are you from?"

"Korea."

"Oh, cool." She nodded. "So you're on holiday?"

"Yes, I really needed it." I dramatically wiped my forehead, earning a chuckle from her.

"I get you, I really need one myself."

"Maybe you'll get one some time soon?"

"I doubt that." She laughed.

We continued to make idle chit-chat as we walked, until she stopped suddenly, turning to me.

"We're here."

I looked around and realised that we were right in front of the museum steps. I hadn't even seen time pass.

"Oh, okay."

"Will you be okay, or do you need me to come in?"

I was taken aback by her generosity for a moment. "No, I think I'm okay, thanks."

"Alright then." She gave me a smile and seemed like she was about to turn to leave.

"Wait," I found myself calling out. "Do you know where I could get free wifi?"

The place I was staying at was having some issues, according to the landlord. A technician would be out soon, but who knew when. And of course I'd learnt this by text when I'd arrived.

"I suppose you could get some at the library, although you'd need a card..." She thought for a moment. "I guess I could lend you mine, I work there."

So she was a librarian. That could explain why she seemed so pleasant.

"Wow, thanks. Do I just walk in?"

"Yeah, I'm generally around."

She pointed the library out to me on the map.

"Thanks for all your help." I gave her a big smile.

"You're welcome."

"One last thing though: what's your name?"

"Mabel." She smiled at me. "Or May."

"I'm Kibum, but you can call me Key if you want."

"Nice to meet you Key. Have a nice day."

And with a final smile and wave, she was off, disappearing into the crowd. I stood there for a moment before I pulled myself together and went inside the museum, my thoughts all over the place.

At least I secured free Wi-Fi, I thought, but in the back of my mind I was happy I'd sort of made a friend. I remembered trying so hard to all those years ago in the youth hostel.

Being in the Kpop world I didn't often get to chat with people outside of my bubble, so it was kind of refreshing to just chat with someone who didn't know me.

Shaking my head, I turned my attention to the exhibits in front of me, making a note to pass by the library as soon as possible.