Chapter 5

[Key]

As I settled in on the plane, I thought about what I'd just done. I'd kissed Mabel, and then left her there, but I meant what I said. I really liked her, I had from the first day I'd met her.

I hadn't actually intended to meet anyone on this trip, but from the moment I'd met her I knew that she was someone I wanted to see again. The times we spent together only confirmed that.

I'd find a way to make it work, I had to. I hadn't felt like this in years and I had to know if it could become something more.

"You're upbeat," my manager commented as he drove me home.

"Yeah, I had a good time in London. Made a new friend."

"Friend, huh?" My manager knew me too well. In fact, he probably knew me better than I knew myself.

I just smirked instead of answering and pulled out my phone, letting Mabel know I made it back safely. She was probably still in shock over what I'd done, but I meant every word.

I hadn't even planned on kissing her, but on the morning of I just felt like I had to let her know I liked her before I left. I was out of practice with girls but I wasn't gonna let this one get away so easily.

My phone pinged with a text back from Mabel.

Good :) It's evening where you are, right?

Yes.

Have a good night then :)

You have a good day :) And I meant what I said ;)

She sent me back a blushing emoji and I chuckled to myself, making my manager smirk. The boys were gonna have a field day with me when they realised what was going on. In any case, I resolved to video call Mabel as soon as possible, just to kick things off. After all, I always had time between schedules, and what better idea than to spend it with her?

I had an opportunity the very next day, and it was Mabel's day off. I videocalled her and she picked up, clearly in her room.

"Hi." She smiled at me. "What's up?"

"Not much, just settling back in before work tomorrow."

Just then my dogs barked behind me.

"What's that?"

"My dogs." I panned the camera to show them to her.

"Aw, they're so cute! What's their names?"

"Comme Des and Garçons."

"Why did you pick French names?"

I laughed. "They're named after a fashion brand."

"That seems on brand for you." She laughed. I liked that she knew so much about me already.

"Were you getting ready to go to sleep?"

"Yes, but I still have some time."

"Good." I softened my voice a little. "I just wanted to call you, to let you know that I'm serious about getting to know you."

"I know, you said." She blushed, looking away.

"We'll have to try figure out when's the best time to talk," I thought out loud.

She leaned back on her bed, looking gorgeous to me.

"Morning or evening, or you can try on my lunch break. But won't you be busy though?"

"I'll make time."

It was true that I was preparing for a future solo and group project and reprising my work on variety shows, but I generally found time for the things I wanted to do. Mabel was now added to that list.

"Your life must be so interesting," she mused.

I scoffed. "It is, but it's tiring."

"Beats studying."

"I suppose so, although I got my degree while being an idol."

"Really? Sounds exhausting."

We chatted for a bit about school and studies before she decided to go to sleep, as she could barely stop yawning. Even after the call I thought about her and the situation, stroking Comme Des absentmindedly.

Seeing how happy just talking to her had made me today, I knew I had made the right choice. I would make it work.

Maybe I didn't have to be lonely after all.