27

I sat on a bench outside of school reading a book, waiting for Alan to come out of a detention. I wore an orange corduroy skirt, with an off-white sweater. The sound of cameras snapping photographs caught my attention, and I looked up to see Coach Boone being chased around by the press. I laughed to myself, watching as they asked him questions, and him answer confidently.

"We will not be intimidated. We're going to play football games. Hatred, violence, will not intimidate us." He yelled to the crowd, as he pushed passed reporters.

"Is that why you need the state troopers, Coach?" One of the reporters asked, writing down on a notepad.

"Look, I don't need no John Brown state troopers." He answered, holding up a brick, tied with a note written in cardboard, for the press to see. "And you can tell whoever threw this brick through my window, they can come visit me anytime. I'll be at home."

At this, the press went crazy. The sound of cameras snapping became more rapid, and the yelling of questions became louder. Coach turned around, followed by my uncle, and pushed passed reporters, in order to enter the school.

"It's crazy out here," I heard Alan whistle, as he jumped over the back of the bench and sat down beside me. He wore jeans and a white t-shirt, with an open blue long sleeved shirt over the top. It amazed me how he never seemed to get cold.

"Tell me about it." I replied, laying my head in his lap. "Remember I told you that while Sheryl was 'round Coach's someone threw a brick through his window? He brought it to school. Showed the press himself."

"Wait, wait. A brick? You never mentioned a brick!" He cried, eyes widening.

"Did I not? Oh." I wondered, sitting up.

"Well we haven't got time to think about that now, the Titans are playing tonight." Alan said, helping me off of the bench.

"We do?" I asked, confused.

"You're very forgetful today, sweetheart." Alan laughed, dragging me along as we ran to the changing rooms.

"I don't know why. My memory's usually perfect." I sighed, but broke out in a smile at the thought of winning another football game.

Once we'd reached the changing rooms, I split off from Alan, entering the girls'. I changed into my cheer uniform as quickly as I could, before rushing to stand out side of the boys', pompoms in hand, waiting to be let in. The guys and I had come to an agreement that I was allowed to be a part of the pre-game pep talk, so long as I stayed outside of the changing room, until they were all changed, and someone came to get me. 

Petey opened the door, and ushered me inside. He looked around, making sure that none of the coaches were around, before following me through to the rest of the team.

"Have y'all been practicing?" I asked them, and received a loud cheer in return.

The boys had decided that they wanted a special entrance to the game tonight, and we'd come to the conclusion that I'd choreograph a dance for them to learn. We had practiced it the night that we'd all met up in the gymnasium, and I'd forced them to practice it as much as they could.

I skipped over to Alan, waving my pompoms cheerfully. He grinned at me, and wrapped an arm around my waist.

The sound of the changing room door being opened, caught everyone's attention. We all stood silently, watching as the coaches entered, confusion written all over their faces.

"What's going on?" Coach Boone asked, a serious expression on his face.

Blue raised his hand, stepping out from behind Gerry. "Coach. Uh, we wanted to let you know we was going to warm up a little different tonight."