10 years later

"May almighty God, who has given us a new birth by water and the Holy Spirit, generously bless all of us who are his faithful children. May we always live as his people, and may God bless all here present with his peace." The priest said, smiling.

"Amen."

As he continued to speak, I admired the beauty of the Church around me, taking in its beautiful white arches and declarations of love for God and Jesus. I stood in front of the rows of my loved ones, holding my newborn son beside my husband, who held his twin, our daughter. Next to us were all of our closest friends, who we had decided to make our children's godparents.

I wore a black, silk dress decorated with a vibrant floral print of different shades of oranges, purples and yellows. My husband had tried to match me, and wore a black suit with a purple tie.

After reading the opening Hymn, the priest spoke again, silencing us.

"We are here today, to honour the birth of these two children. God's children. This wonderful occasion leaves not only sentiment, but faith in God." He said, turning to us. "What names do you give your children?"

"Danielle Caroline Bosley, and Scott Gerry Bosley." We said in unison.

I smiled as Alan slipped his hand into mine, shifting my weight to support Scott with one arm.

"What do you ask of God's Church for Scott and Danielle?"

"Baptism."

"You have asked to have your children baptised. In doing so, you are accepting the responsibility of training them in the practice of the faith. It will be your duty to bring them up to keep God's commandments as Christ taught us, by loving God and our neighbours. Do you clearly understand what you are undertaking" The Priest asked, reading from the papers on his lectern.

"We do."

The priest turned to the others, "Are you ready to help the parents in their duty as Christian parents?"

"We are." They chorused, smiling at the two of us.

The priest, smiled, "Scott, Danielle, the Christian community welcomes you with great joy. In its name I claim you for Christ our Saviour by the sign of his cross. I now trace the cross on your forehead, and invite your parents and godparents to do the same."

He stepped away from his lectern, leaning down to sign Danielle on the forehead silently, before moving over to do the same to Scott. Moving back, the priest gestured for Alan and I to do the same.

I carefully signed Scott's forehead, smiling down at his beautiful fast asleep face. Danielle wasn't so easy, she grabbed my finger with her tiny hands, gurgling. I laughed quietly, and distracted her with one hand, signing her forehead with the other.

Alan did the same, winking at me before returning to where he stood. One by one, Petey, Ronnie, Rev, Blue, Louie, Julius and Emma signed our children's foreheads, smiling widely.

"Do you reject Satan?" The priest asked, voice turning serious.

"I do." We all said, once again standing in a line.

"And all his works?"

"I do."

"And all his empty promises?"

"I do."

"Do you believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth?"

"I do."

"Do you believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was born of the Virgin Mary, was crucified, died and was buried, rose from the dead and is now seated at the right hand of the Father?"