Chapter 1: The beginning of a new forever

A/N: I'm currently working on fixing the verb tense shifts so try your best to ignore that.

Silence was my biggest fear. Loneliness was my biggest flaw. Leaving was my biggest dream. Failure was my biggest reality. Family was my biggest downfall.

Oftentimes I would find myself dreaming about my future. My one dream in life was to leave the tiny town I called home, to find a place where I belonged. To find a town where I could fulfill my dream of a life with people who loved me for who I was.

Then suddenly reality would hit me, and I would remember who I actually was. A lonely girl who had no freedom or say in anything she did because of her parents.

Another day another slay! Well not exactly but that's what I always like to tell myself when I wake up. The mornings are my favorite, it's quiet and dark. No one is awake to tell me how much of a failure I really am.

As I brush out my long, wavy hair, I run through the schedule of things I have to do today. I pull back all my hair and braid it in one long braid down the center of my back, then go to my closet to grab one of my school uniforms.

I grab one of the skirt uniforms, my personal favorite, and quickly change into it. I slip my dirty clothes into my basket and step out of the shared closet that me and my roommate both keep our clothes in.

I step in front of the mirror and made sure I looked at least half decent. 'Good enough,' I think to myself, and walk over to my vanity to finish my makeup. After I finish my light, natural look, I grab my bag and keys then head out the door.

Once I enter the hallway I lock my door, no one ever steals at all but I like to be safe just in case. "Morning," I hear a tired voice greet me from behind. "Good morning Faye," I politely greet back. "Where's Cassandra?" she questions, confusion obvious in her voice due to the absence of my roommate. "Oh, she's just back at her parents for the week I guess," I replay the words that my missing roommate gave me over the phone with a shrug.

We continue the conversation as we walk down the stairs and out of the building. Once we got closer to the main education buildings we split up to head to our first class. I don't mind Faye, she is very nice, but our idiot parents have some long running rivalry that makes it hard for us to be friends.

My first class of the day is math. Math and I have a love-hate relationship. One day I'm really good at it, the next I'm stupid and can't figure out a simple problem. I continue walking by myself to Education Hall B where all the core subjects are.

I walk in the building and immediately see a bunch of my friends come rushing towards me. "Were you just walking with Faye Ivan?" They questioned me all at once. "Yeah, so what, we're in the same dorm hall," I answer them with a shrug hoping they will drop the topic because to be honest I really don't care.

"You know that if your dad heard that you two talk he would be very mad." Cally practically scolds me. I shrug and walk off to math, knowing she would be following because we share the same class.

"Ok fine, subject dropped." she accepts once she catches up with me again. "So, you excited for the dance?" she brings it up excitedly. I answer back excitedly as well, "You know it!" I exclaim, finally liking the topic she brought up. "I heard you and Ren are going together," she says as she nudges my shoulder. My cheeks immediately got hot and I could tell she noticed. "Maybe, I mean he asked me but I don't know if I want to go with a guy yet, you know?" I explained.

We finally make it through the winding halls of our huge school and to one of the math classrooms. As we get in we take our seats and pull out our chromebooks. The bell rang and the teacher, Mr. Sidoro, started his boring lesson. Halfway through the class, just as I am about to drift off into a very peaceful sleep, the overhead intercom comes on.