Chapter 3

LUCAS

Just like that, Omoye and I became inseparable. From immature children to the teenagers we are now. We never talk about the past. Omoye believes that if we never talk about it, it never happens. Sometimes, I like to believe that too, but it did happen.

The scars are still there. I can see it, especially in those little moments when she falls asleep in class because of the nightmares that kept her up at night. I was up doing my assignments, she always says. Or when her panic attacks are triggered. I am fine, she says as soon as I manage to pull her out of them. Or when she is around the opposite sex and her anxiety level spikes up. Every adult male is a potential Dami.

In truth, sometimes I'm afraid of triggering her attack, especially after what happened at the school playground a couple of years ago. I wanted her to join the other kids to play hide and seek. She refused. It will be fun, I said as I forced her up.

Next thing I knew, she was balled up on the floor, gasping for air. Her face was the same as I remember it in that filthy apartment with Dami. Guilt heaved on my skin again. I did this to her.

Since then, I have always been careful not to hug her, shake her hand or hold her in any form. My grandmother believes I may be overdoing it but I can not be too careful.

Not that I don't want to touch her because it is getting increasingly difficult as every fibre in my body craves her. I want to hold her close, gently kiss and caress those tender lips, feel the warmth of her alluring body next to mine...but I can't.

I can't, I can't, I....can't.

↤↤↤↤↤ AUTHOR NOTES ↦↦↦↦↦

AUTHOR NOTES:  THIS BOOK IS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE ON AMAZON, YOU CAN READ IT FOR FREE ON KINDLE UNLIMITED, PHYSICAL COPIES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE FOR NIGERIAN READERS.