• 2 •

September 13th 1986

I rush into school and go to the band room to get my clarinet. Once I get it and leave my room, I nearly crash into someone. It was Vickie. " Sorry Robin! I must watch where I'm going. See you at the prep rally?" I don't even have time to answer because she's already gone. I sigh and walk towards to the School assembly hall.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I put on the hideous uniform that the band have to wear and get in my place. Vickie is beside me, trying to catch my eye. I ignore her. I try to make out if she is coming to the prep rally. I can't see her but I do see Max, Mike and Dustin. Finally the auditorium fills up and the cheerleaders do their dance. Chrissy Cunningham is doing her little dance. I actually remember having a small crush on her years ago.

Seems I have had a crush on everybody.

Anyway after the dance, Jason Carver, Chrissy's boyfriend does his speech. I am honestly not even listening. I keep looking and looking. The door opens slightly but it makes a loud creeking sound. It's her. Nancy Wheeler walks into the assembly and tries to find an empty space in the stands. I look at her, hoping she notices me. But then again, it would be weird if she does because I don't think she likes me that much when we met last year. Like properly because I have been aware of who she was, but we never really talked before that.

Anyway, I heard the names Barbara, Billy and Hopper mentioned in Jason's speech. I finally paid attention because the band was going to start soon. I quickly looked at Nancy and saw that she was looking at me. I looked away quickly and focused on my clarinet. Finally, the band started to play. I tried to play but I couldn't. Not  with Nancy Wheeler watching me. I tried to keep cool and kept playing. Finally we stopped and then the prep rally was over.

I practically ran out of assembly. I dashed into the band room and put my clarinet in its case and took a deep breath. I ran my fingers through my hair when I heard a knock on the door. The door opened and in came Nancy Wheeler. "Robin. I've been looking for you," She said. "Sorry. I just came straight here," I apologized. "It's alright. You did great today at the prep rally by the way," she smiled. I felt a flush of red go to my cheeks. "Thanks, Nance," I said. "Oh, I forgot the reason why I came here for!" I raised my eyebrows and continued looking at her. "Which is?' I asked her.

"Mr. Mitchell told me to tell you that we're doing a group project in class, and that everyone else had gotten into groups and that we have to work together," she explained. I nodded but I was screaming internally. "When should we work on the project?" I asked. "Maybe at mine? Or the library? Actually, wait. Everyone will be in the library so no. Mine?" Nancy suggested. "Sure. Where do you live?" I burst out laughing at the end because it sounds weird. Nancy smiled and then giggled too.

"24 Charity Avenue. You do know where that is right?" Nancy asked. "Yeah. It's only a few houses down from mine," I explained. "Oh I never knew that!" Nancy exclaimed. "So, after school then?" I asked. "Yeah. Wait for me outside?" Nancy asked. "Yeah. See you, Nance," I said as I walked past her.

- - Nancy POV - -

" Yeah. See you, Nance," Robin said as she walked past me and left the band room. I was left with my feelings and my thoughts. I felt butterflies in my stomach. But I have a boyfriend! I have to be loyal to him! I sighed and thought of Robin as I walked out of the band room.

( 664 words )