19|| Clues

The tea kettle whistled, prompting Lesley to grab a mitten. She slipped it over her hand and reached for the kettle's handle. Carefully tilting it, she poured the hot, steamy water into her favorite mug, emblazoned with her alma mater, Stony Brook University's, logo.

She tore open the wrapper of a Chamomile tea pack and pulled out the teabag. She placed it into her mug, let it steep, and disposed of the wrapper in the trash.

With her mug in hand, she casually strolled into Nick's office. Settling into his leather swivel chair, she made herself comfortable and set her mug on the oak wood desk. Flipping open Nick's laptop, she pressed the power button and turned it on. Lesley would occasionally use Nick's office now and again until Nick could get a contractor to come in and convert their spare upstairs bedroom into a personal workspace for Lesley.

Setting her fingers over the keyboard, she typed in Nick's password, and the timer icon loaded.

Grasping the handle of her mug, she picked it up and took a gentle sip of her tea. Laying her hand over the mouse, she veered the cursor over the browser icon and double-clicked. The webpage loaded.

She typed " Darlene and Celia Arcaden, NY" and hit the search button. The icon spun as it was gathering results. Lesley could only hope that there were any results. Without a last name to input, she had little faith. 

However, a news article from seven years ago appeared. Celia's volleyball team at Arcaden High won their regional division title, making them regional volleyball champions.

Impressive. As she scrolled through the article, Lesley thought, reading Celia's remarkable volleyball stats. Nothing of importance stood out to her besides the report being dated seven years ago. If Celia was a senior seven years ago, that meant Leah was also a senior. Yet, Jackie had told Nick and Lesley that the drowning had occurred just last year. The time periods weren't adding up.

This is strange. Lesley thought, growing frustrated.

She zoomed in on the volleyball picture, and something struck a cord within her as her eyes focused on a young girl in the back of the photo. She wore an infectious smile, and her long dark hair waved down her back. The girl resembled Leah.

Suddenly, Lesley was disrupted by the chime of her phone.

She picked it up and placed it to her ear. "Hello?"

"Hey, Les!" Nick's voice boomed into the phone." I found out something quite disturbing today."

"What?" Lesley pulled the phone closer to her ear.

"I'll tell you more about it when I get back." Nick promised." My flight is leaving now. See you, Les. Love you!

Nick hung up before Lesley could reply. His message tugged at Lesley, and she was curious what that was all about. She tried not to worry because if it were urgent, Nick would've warned her about whatever it was.

**********

After an evening yoga session, Lesley and Denise decided to go out for a couple of cocktails at the local bar.

As Lesley made her way inside, she realized just how small the bar was. There were also only a handful of people inside, and many of them knew each other, given the fact that Arcaden was a tight-knit community where everyone knew everyone.

When Lesley walked in, all eyes were on her. The locals hadn't ever seen her before. And most of the bar guests were retired men who dedicated their evenings to a beer or two.

Lesley strolled up to the bar, where she was greeted by the bartender- a tall, muscular man with a ponytail. He didn't look like an Arcaden local, but he did look like a New York local.

"Can I help you, Miss?" He asked while wiping down the bar with a worn burgundy-colored rag.

"Yes, I'll have a Martini, please."

Denise stepped into the bar while Lesley waited for him to make her drink. She found Lesley in time, given how small the bar was. Denise ordered a Bloody Mary. Once their drinks were finished being made, Lesley and Denise found their way to the back of the bar and sat at a small round table.

Sipping their drinks, they laughed and shared many fond memories from college. Lesley thought it would be the perfect opportunity to touch on the subject of the retired city councilman.

"So, Denise," Lesley said, her eyes fixed on her drink, "I really need your help locating this retired city councilman."

Denise's heart skipped a beat, and a wave of heat rushed over her. She leaned closer to Lesley and spoke in a hushed tone." Lesley, I'm sorry, but I can't get that information for you. Gary could potentially lose his job as a city councilman if that gets out." Denise moved in closer to Lesley." Whoever that man was, he was protected by some big-time movers and shakers. Gary doesn't even want me to talk about it anymore. He told me to bury it."

Lesley sighed heavily. "Oh, he's one of those. Just as I had suspected," she said, shaking her head.

"Yeah, I don't know who it is, Lesley," Denise said apologetically, "But I know if it gets out, whoever he is has the influence to ruin your life."