Sick

This takes place post-Crooked Kingdom. Matthias is still alive and married to Nina. 

Kaz's POV:

Another cough rattled through my chest. It was just like the plague. Bad idea, I scolded myself. the memories will come back. 

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to block out the flashbacks. I took a few calming breaths, then snapped back to the present. 

I was at my desk in the attic, doing my best to get some paperwork done. However, it wasn't going very well for me. I had been feeling poorly for a while, unable to sleep, eat, and coughing frequently. Luckily for me, the rest of the crows were at Wylan and Jesper's house, celebrating Nina and Matthias's anniversary.  

I knew that I should be there, but I wouldn't risk infecting my f--sorry, my accomplices. But Inej was also there and was supposed to leave again in the morning. I couldn't bear to not see her during her visit. I would have to make the trek to the Van Eck mansion to see her right away.

I heaved myself off my chair, grabbing my cane and heading down the four flights of stairs. I made my way through the streets, occasionally stopping to let waves of dizziness pass. As I finally neared the door, nausea overtook me and I retched on the doorstep. I groaned, bringing a hand to my head, already feeling a headache flare. 

I knocked on the obnoxiously expensive door, coming face-to-face with Inej as she opened it. 

"Kaz?" She said, surprised. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm fine, Inej."

"Come in," she gestured inside. 

I did so, then followed her into the dining room, the table heaped with food. Jesper, Wylan, Nina, and Matthias were already there. 

"Kaz!" Wylan exclaimed. "You made it!"

I refused to look him in the eye, making it clear that his cheerfulness was annoying me. I took a seat next to Inej, who was already picking at her food. I couldn't bring myself to take a bite, especially after I had just vomited outside. 

I focused my attention on my plate for the rest of the meal, not daring to look at Inej's concerned expression I knew was plastered to her face. I stiffly stood up once the others had started moving into the living room. Inej held back, most likely to interrogate me. 

"Kaz. You tell me what's wrong with you this instant," she practically growled.

"Nothing," I told her weakly.

Suddenly, dizziness over took me. I saw Inej's mouth moving, but I couldn't hear her. The last thing I saw was Inej reaching for me before the world went black. 

🖤🐦‍⬛🧇🗡️🖤

"-az. Kaz, wake up," a voice whispered. 

I blinked, my eyes snapping to the person above me. Their face was blurry. What happened?! I could feel myself laying on something comfortable, which was most likely a bed. What if someone had kidnapped me?! I needed to get out of wherever I was, as soon as possible. 

"Kaz! You're okay. It's me, Inej," the voice, who I now knew was Inej, exclaimed.

"'Nej?" I groaned, my voice more hoarse than usual. 

"Yes, it's me," she clarified. "Why didn't you tell me that you are sick?"

"Didn't want you to worry," I mumbled. 

Inej frowned, then handed me a glass of water. "Drink this."

I accepted, drowning the glass in one gulp. I let out a long sigh. My head was pounding and I was still nauseous. 

I broke into a coughing fit, covering my mouth with my hand. That's when I realized my gloves were most definitely not on my hands. 

I flinched, moving my body into a sitting position. I shoved my hands under the blanket that was covering me. 

"Get away from me!" I shouted at Inej. "Away!"

Inej watched me with concerned eyes, not even mad about my outburst. She quietly backed away, knowing I needed some space. 

I took deep breaths, trying to stop the waters rising around me. As I calmed down, the world came back into focus and I was able to handle Inej's presence again.

"Sorry," I panted. "I'm sorry, Inej. Please stay."

"I'm not going anywhere, Kaz," she smiled softly. "And I'm sorry too. I should've left your gloves on."

I shook my head. "You did what you had to. Inej... thank you."

She glanced at the wall, a blush appearing on her cheeks. "Of course."

Inej hesitated, but looked back at me and took a step closer. And another. And another, until she had reached my side. 

"Get some rest Kaz, you need it."

I nodded obediently, closing my eyes. As I drifted to sleep, I thought of beautiful Inej, who was always there for me.

"Thank you..." I whispered again sleepily as I was finally lured into the realm of sleep.  

Hi everyone! Thank for reading! This is a new one shot book, definitely different from my other one. Please comment and vote!