After The Heist

This takes place pre-Six of Crows.

Kaz's POV:

Everyone at the slat gave my crew a loud cheer as we entered the room. We had just successfully pulled off a heist to steal a priceless DeKappal from a councilman. Jesper grinned widely, going straight over to the tables so he could share his story. Inej had already disappeared, and I was going up to the attic to get some work done. 

Unfortunately, we had to run in order to escape some Stadwatch, and my bad leg was searing with pain. I tried to ignore it as I made my way up the stairs, gritting my teeth at each step. 

I was panting by the time I finally reached the attic, fumbling to remove the locks on my door. Once I was alone, I let my mask slip.

Groaning, I lowered myself onto my desk chair. I glanced at the giant stack of paperwork on my desk. I really needed to finish all of it that night. 

For the next couple bells, I sat in my chair doing the paperwork. Eventually, I got through all of it and supposed that I could sleep for a bit. 

I pushed myself off of the chair, or tried to. My leg was throbbing, little twinges of pain pulsing through it every few seconds. I sighed, trying to stand again, but stopped as I felt someone's presence. 

"Hello, Inej," I said.

"Kaz," she replied, stepping into my room.

"What business?" I asked her.

"None," she replied.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Why else would she be in my room?

"Are you okay?" Inej finally said.

"I'm fine," I lied. "You can leave now."

"Don't lie to me," Inej said, stepping closer. "I saw how you couldn't get out of your chair. You need help."

She extended her hands out to me. I stared at them, hoping that I could convince her I didn't need her help.

"I can stand by myself," I gritted out.

I tried to stand again, this time making it about halfway before my leg wobbled underneath me. I fell forward into Inej, who gently caught me, making sure she wasn't touching my skin, which I greatly appreciated. 

I set my foot down, hissing as a jolt of pain was sent through it. Inej guided my arm around her shoulders, then helped me limp to my bed. 

I laid down with a groan, closing my eyes. The pain was really bad that day. 

"May I?" Inej asked.

I peeked an eye open to see her gesturing to my leg. I nodded weakly. I could use all the help I could get at the moment, not that I would ever admit it out loud. 

She sat on the side of the bed, then reached into the drawer in my bedside table. She pulled out my spare pair of gloves. Inej slipped them onto her slim fingers.

She gently placed a hand on my bad leg, starting to rub circles on it. She started to press down more, causing me to wince in pain. She stopped for a second, and I grabbed my chance.

"My knee is really sore today," I mumbled. "Just so you know."

Inej nodded, resuming her massaging again, this time with less pressure. She continued for a long time, the only thing I could do was occasionally let a wince or a groan slip out.

Towards the end, Inej returned to rubbing out my knee. I breathed out a sigh of relief. Her massaging was really helping my pain level decrease. 

Unfortunately, she accidentally pressed really hard into the top of my kneecap, right where my break had been.

I gasped sharply, pushing her hands away. Breathing heavily, I cupped my knee gently in my hands, trying to stop the waves of pain rolling through it.

"I'm so sorry," Inej breathed. 

"It's fine," I panted. "That's... That's where one of the original breaks was. It never healed properly."

"I'm so sorry," Inej repeated. "I had no idea."

"It's not your fault," I said, grunting as the waves of pain kept coming. 

"I'll be right back," Inej said, slipping out of my room.

I sat there, clutching my knee, until she finally came back. She was holding some hot water bottles.

"Where do you want them?" Inej questioned.

Wordlessly, I gestured to the top of my knee and the sides of my knee. She gingerly placed them down, easing the pain. I sighed, closing my eyes again. 

"I'll leave you now," she whispered.

As she turn to leave, I called out after her, "Inej? Thank you."

"Of course, Kaz. Anytime," Inej replied. 

I could hear the smile in her voice. She deserved my thanks. Even if she had made my pain worse for a while, her efforts to help were enough to show how much she cared. I would always remember her kindness and try to be as nice to her as I could. She deserved every caring thing that came her way. She was my Wraith, and my Wraith she would stay. 

Hi! Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy!