Learning To Dance

Rose, for some reason, had always loved the film "Dirty Dancing". She and Keisha had watched it when they were fourteen in Keisha's basement. Of course, the two of them really weren't supposed to know that that certain movie existed at all, but it turned out that they did and they loved watching it.

She had finally convinced the Doctor to watch it with her, and after he complained for half an hour, he made them popcorn and in no time they were cuddled up together on the couch with a blanket over them.

Halfway through the film the Doctor scoffed. Rose moved her head from his shoulder to look up at him. "What's that for?"

"We dance better than Johnny and Baby," he said confidently.

"Even if we were that good, I don't think I'd want to do that lift," she wrinkled her nose. "Besides, we've only danced once, and you weren't in this body."

The Doctor skimmed his fingers up her arm distractedly. "I still have the moves."

"Do you?" She asked. It was a clear challenge.

"Rose Tyler, do you doubt me?" He arched an eyebrow and looked down at her in disbelief.

"Just waiting for you to prove it, that's all." Rose shrugged and laid her head back on his shoulder, smiling to herself.

"No, we're going to dance, don't get comfortable!" The Doctor shoved her lightly, and Rose stood up, the Doctor right after her. She shucked his suit jacket off and rolled up his sleeves. "Alright, then," he paused the movie and the signature song of the movie, "Time Of My Life" began to play through the speakers of the movie room.

Rose giggled as he held out his hand to her. "Okay," she said, taking his hand.

She let out a small noise of surprise when he pulled her flush against them and started leading her through a waltz. It was far classier than the movie and so incredibly lovely and so incredibly Doctor that she couldn't imagine doing the sensual moves that were part of most of the dancing in the real movie.

He held her close, the hand that was on her waist making her lean forward to lean her cheek against his chest.

Unlike the last time they danced, it wasn't frantic and fun movements. It was holding, that simple, foot movements, and the whisper of his hand along her back. It was only when he started singing in her ear that she closed her eyes and reveled in the whole moment.

"You know this song," she whispered. She'd meant it as a statement, but it had very clearly been just a comment.

"Yes," he said softly, his lips just ghosting her ear. "I've heard it a few times. I think it's rather relevant right now, don't you?"

"Yeah," she breathed, removing her hand from his and wrapping both arms around his neck, forcing them into a sort of vertical cuddle. He held her close, his arms around her waist, swaying them back and forth, and still singing softly in her ear.

She wanted to melt into the moment, the whisper of her fingers moving across the fabric of his shirtsleeves, his breath against her ear. It was so beautiful that it terrified her, and she wanted nothing more than to turn and kiss him, but she didn't know that he would allow it.

Although it seemed like he might, the way he was holding her now. Even when the song finished, he continued to hum, and they held on to each other, neither of them noticing the light had dimmed in the room, leaving them in a soft yellow glow.

The Doctor pulled back slowly to look into her eyes. "Rose, I-" He stopped and clamped his mouth shut.

"What, Doctor?" She asked, cocking her head. Oh, how she wanted him to say it. It was so important that this was his decision, his choice.

"I'd quite like to kiss you, if that's alright," he said, sounding very much like a bashful teenager asking for his first kiss.

"That's better than alright," she whispered, leaning forward a bit but still offering him an out.

He didn't take it, much to her relief. He leaned in and pressed his mouth to hers, very, very gently at first, but she coaxed him and he soon deepened the kiss. He clutched her to him as if he would never be able to get enough of her, like if she left, then he was done for.

Rose could say that she fully understood that feeling. She pulled him closer, her arms wrapped around his neck, as she tried to tell him just how much she loved him and how much she felt for him with just this one kiss. She knew it couldn't be enough, would never be enough, but for this very moment, it would do just fine.

He pulled slowly away from her to kiss her neck, allowing her a few moments to breathe without relinquishing the opportunity to show her his affections. He still had his arms wrapped around her, and she counted twenty seconds of him worshipping other parts of her before he returned to her mouth, stronger than before.

It was such a powerful moment that Rose found herself whimpering into his mouth, wanting him close, always wanting him close, no matter what, and it was then that she realized that they were still dancing, but it was a different kind of dancing.

This time it was she who pulled away, and she reached up to cup his cheeks. "I love you," she whispered quietly, her heart pounding hard as she waited for the rejection, for the "Rose, Time Lords don't love."

She was surprised when he tipped his forehead to hers and whispered back, "I love you too."

The sound of it was loud in the room, like fireworks blowing through it, obscuring everything but the two of them.

"I don't think I want to finish the movie just now," Rose said sheepishly.

The Doctor grinned and pressed in to kiss her again. "Me either," he replied, and they didn't finish the movie for a very long time.