1; a new shadowhunter

It was a nice and peaceful day, for once, in New York. Alec and Magnus decided to go out since both of them didn't have any plans, like protecting humans or down-worlders from demons.
Clary was drawing, and Jace was admiring her.
Simon had a lot on his mind; practicing his music and learning for an exam for college, and he had to prepare dinner with his mom and sister. Not to mention, his girlfriend, Maia, would come over later.
Izzy has been working on some papers in her office.

"Magnus, I really don't think it's a good idea." Alec said uncertainly, following his husband. He was blindfolded, so he had no clue where he was going. His only option was being guided by Magnus.

They were walking across the street, Magnus knowing exactly where to go, Alec trying to stop him. 

"Of course, it's a good idea. I always have good ideas." Magnus said happily. They entered a small cafe that Alec really liked but never had a chance to go to because of the recent demon attacks. "Okay, you can open your eyes now." Alec did as told, and when he did, he looked up and saw the beautiful interior of the cafe. His expression was a mix of happiness and amazement. "Told you, I have good ideas." Magnus spoke, dragging the other man to a table next to the window.

They waited for someone to take their order, but when Magnus looked out the window,  he saw a girl, she had brown hair and blue eyes and was probably around 16 years old. But something wasn't right about her situation; she was looking around frantically, like someone was following her. The Warlock looked closer and saw the intense fear in her eyes.

"Alexander, you see that girl?"  He pointed at the girl, so Alec looked at where he pointed.

"Yeah. What about her?" Alec asked with furrowed brows.

"Don't you see the way she's acting? She looks scared, like she's being followed."

The Shadowhunter looked closer and indeed noticed the scared and frantic look in the girl's eyes.

As he was examining the girl, he saw a demon behind her, about to slash her troath. Magnus and Alec stood up, ignoring the waitress, and they ran out the door. The brunette dodged the claws and ran as hard as she could. The Warlock used his magic to trap the demon so Alec could impale it with his Sereph. The girl looked at the couple, scared out of her mind but also relieved that she didn't have to run anymore.

"I- thank you."  Was all she said.

"No problem. Shadowhunter I assume?" Magnus asked as he noticed the healing rune on her neck.

"Yeah, but I just started training a few weeks back." The girl answered.

"How long have you known you're a Shadowhunter?" Alec asked with a skeptic look on his face.

"I- Valentine, he ehm, he experimented on me, he made me into a Shadowhunter, I guess. I'm not sure. Everything is so vague. I  don't remember much." The girl explained.

" Why don't you start with telling us your name?" The Warlock said softly, trying to calm the girl down a bit.

"Max Smith. "

"Great, now tell us what you remember." Alec inquired abruptly.

"Alexander-" Magnus started.

"No, it's fine." Max spoke.

"Okay, well, first, my name is Magnus, and this is Alexander."  Magnus said with a slight smile. Alec just glared at the man next to him. He didn't trust the girl one bit. She was Valentine's experiment after all. What if she worked for him. The warlock ignored the glare and continued; "so, Maxine, what do you remember about Valentine's experiments on you?" He questioned.

"I was planning on going home from work but before I knew what was going on in my surroundings, I was being taken, but I can't remember where. When I woke up, I was in a some kind of animal cage. The rest was all a blur, but I do remember being saved by a a red-haired girl and a man with blond hair-" She explained.

"Clary." Magnus muttered almost inaudible.

"Jace." Alec said at the same time. Max seemed to be confused.

"Don't worry, I think we know where you were taken to." The warlock paused. "That ship, remember?" He asked Alec. The man frowned in confusion. "Where Jace was held. Dorothea sent Clary there in Valentine's order." Alec finally seemed to understand and nodded slowly.

"Well, when I was released from the hospital, I wanted to go home but... eh, my eh, my home and family has been burned down, so I've been living on the streets, in my truck, not even my friends wanted to take me in."

After talking and explaining, the three went to the institute. Magnus suggested that Max would stay with him or stay in the institute.

Alec walked to his office to check for anyone named Maxine Smith. He had a list of every shadowhunter in New York. He stopped at the S; he searched through the surnames until he reached the name 'Smith'. He traced his finger to next to the surname, but he couldn't find anyone named Maxine Smith, so he rushed the main hall, where Magnus was doing some check ups on the protection of the institute. Max was waiting, arms crossed, she was standing there awkwardly. 

"Who are you really?" Alec came straight to the point once he was rushing to Max. Magnus heard, so he walked up to them.

"W-what do you mean? I am Max Smith." Max answered.

"Who are you really? There is no record of you." The man said with a frown.

"I- I don't know. Maybe because I'm not your ordinary shadowhunter or because I'm new? I'm a created shadowhunter, remember? Valentine being the big bad shadowhunter." Max exclaimed with an eye roll. 

"You-" Alec was cut off by Magnus;

"Alexander, there is probably a good explanation for this." 

Alec lifted his hand slightly, wanting to say something, but nothing came out so he walked out and to his office again.

"Did I do something wrong, Magnus?"

"No, he just has a lot on his mind as Inquisitor of the Clave." Magnus answered.

"What is the Clave?" Max asked.

"The collective name for the political body made up of all active Nephilim."

Max nodded understandingly. She looked around the main hall, noticing a woman that looked around Alec's age, maybe a few years younger. She at least looked a lot like Alec. Max had her eyes locked on the woman as she approached the warlock and her.

"Hey, Magnus, I heard the news about a new shadowhunter." The woman said. She than looked at the girl next to him. "Max Smith, am I right?" She stretched out her hand for Max to shake. The younger girl nodded. "Isabelle Lightwood. But call me Izzy."  

"Nice meeting you, Izzy." Max smiled kindly. 

"Nice meeting you too." Izzy agreed. "I've already got a room set up for you, already. Follow me." 

Max nodded and followed the older girl to her new bedroom. 

"So, first of all, this is your room." Izzy started as she showed  Max her room. "Second, we are going shopping tomorrow."

"What?" Max didn't really understand what was going on. "I eh, I don't really have money, y'know, I lived on the street, in my truck." She looked down, avoiding Izzy's gaze. 

"Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it. Than when we're done shopping, we'll get you a job." 

The younger girl nodded in agreement as a small smile grew on her face. Izzy smiled back.

"I'ma head to my office. I will have a stele ready for you by tonight. I noticed you only have the Iratze rune?" She more questioned than stated. 

"Eh, yeah and the deflect rune. Valentine probably didn't want anyone to find me." The girl looked at Izzy unsure as she rolled up her sleeve, revealing the rune. 

"It's okay. Tonight at my office. 8 o'clock." Izzy smiled and left once she saw Max nodding.

...