''Lets make a deal,''

It all happened so fast,

Why, where- when? Before he knew it he was struck down by a heathy slunk of moving metal.

A car- how?

A drunk driver had struck down Skip while he came home from late-night studying.

It was red, Skip was supposed to walk and the car was supposed to stop. Dammit! How was he supposed to know the driver was drunk out of his mind?

Skippy felt angry, frustrated. The thought he was on deaths door because of some irresponsible slink? The thought of dying bought back memories of his long forgotten dog. Rex...

Skip had loved that dog more than anything, he would pick that dog over the world. He would die for that dog dammit! Well, sadly the dog died in a way where Skip couldn't take his place, age is such a brutal thing sometimes, isn't it? He was joining his dog, 'At least I'll see him again, my best emotional support...' he thought, he thought. When what he expected to be a blinding light was a blinding dark, he was confused for a second.

'Huh? Am I not qualified for heaven? Is this hell, well-deserved I guess.'

"My, my, my, this is no hell!"

A weird cat- no dog! Wait- dog AND cat like figure stood afoot Skip. "You can't be the devil can you? So their actually real," The figure possessed no tail despite being quite animal like, much bigger than the 17 year old Skip, its perfectly circular green eyes pierced through Skip's now apparently white eyes. It was blinding in contrast to all of the dark surrounding them.

"You are mistaken young dreamer!" Its voice sounded kind of weird, like it had been through a voice changer...Skip would describe it to be more on the higher pitched side of the spectrum for voice pitch. "Why would you think I am the devil?"

"Pretty safe bet this is the afterlife, I like to assume the worst of my situations, even the worst possible better is pleasantly surprising that way, y'know?

"Interesting, interesting indeed.  Well young dreamer! You are indeed not dead! You are in the realm of shadows, more descriptively, 'Free-Form'"

"Well, what do you want with me? I can't help but ask." Skip was astonished at how casually he spoke his mind here, he was more timid and reserved before the incident...guess a near death experience can really change a guy...in this case a real death experience...hehe...

"He picked one soul...I watched, waited, and soon enough someone popped up in my domain! For why you are here of all people I cannot answer, but I am finally able to fulfil my purpose!"

"Purpose? This is really weird, can I just pass on now?" 

'Never thought I'd say that in the context of death'

"No! No! No! For the last time you are not dead!" The figure chimed wistfully and happily!

"I am Baku! The shadow of Luck! I grant you a wish, in turn you accept me as your eternal companion! Only separated by death!"

"I would love to accept but that deal seems kind of sketchy, if you don't mind me asking a few questions?"

"Not at all dreamer! We have plenty of time for chit-chat!"

"Great to hear," Skip said, he was not hesitant about his first few questions...the figure, or, "Baku" as they claim, claimed they have plenty of time, but personally Skip was more stuck up to waste as little time as possible. He wasn't very happy with staying in this weird place longer than he had to.

"Firstly," he began, "In turn for granting any wish you become our companion, right? How does that benefit you...or not benefit us, or me?"

"I am lonely, I am lonely must I admit. I am in need of a 'owner' must you refer to me as a pet or animal. Personally I prefer companion! I am in need of someone to talk to, listen to, explore with! I am knowledgeable of Free-Form, but I have not left this domain until possibly now! Of course, I can only leave if you accept..." Baku said in a hopeful, sad, and persuasive tone.