Chapter 26

[Gloria & Jay]
"We are very excited." Gloria was smiling widely, "It will be so fun for me, especially. Getting to know so many new people."

"Not for me." Jay shook his head, "I like Aurelia- good kid, no problem chatting with her. I just don't know anyone else there other than our family. Then again, why would I need to meet so many new people? I'm old."

"Ay, Jay." She smacks him, "Don't say that. But okay, if you don't want to talk. Just sit there and eat."

"We bought her a very nice gift." Gloria said proudly.

"I paid for it."

"I did, too." Gloria disagrees, "It's a pair of earrings."

Jay sighs, throwing a hand up, "See?"

"What? It's very pretty. Goes well with a lot of things."

"Do you think she'll believe that I got her earrings too?"

"Oh, not at all." Gloria laughs.

——

"Wow, look at you!" Haley squeals. Haley entered the room without knocking so Aurelia was startled. "Oh, God. Haley, I- you scared me."

"Sorry, babe. Your Mom told me you were getting ready in here." Haley chuckles, wrapping an arm around her waist from behind, "Everything looks great out there."

"I'm glad." Aurelia smiled, turning around to peck her on the lips, "Also, can you do my makeup, please? I just can't-"

"Don't you worry." Haley sets down her backpack, "Did you really think I wouldn't come prepared?"

"Of course not." Aurelia giggles.

"Okay, sit still." Haley began working on her makeup, a tentative hand on her thigh as she does.

She was done within fifteen minutes. And by then, Delia comes in to check on them. "Oh, that was quick." She remarked, "That looks so good. Your Mom's gonna come here in a second- she's just making sure everything's here and properly set up."

"Thanks, tía."

Delia smiled and shut the door behind herself. "God, you look so hot."

"Haley, stop it." Aurelia chided.

"You do." Haley cups her cheek.

"Thank you." Aurelia's lips tug into a smile as she admits, "I'm so damn nervous."

"It's gonna be okay. Just- follow my lead. I got your back."

"Oh, God the choreography..." She groans.

"Breathe, Ray." Haley reminded, squeezing her hand.

Momentarily, someone knocks on the door. "Can I come in?"

"Si, mami." Aurelia laid back against the chair.

"Ay, que hermosa." Rita complimented, "Everything is ready, and guests are arriving."

"Okay. Great, great, great." Aurelia chuckles humourlessly, "How many people are coming?"

"Sixty. But it's just gonna be fun, okay? Don't stress yourself out. Deep breaths, honey. Everything's going just fine."

"At the end of the day, it's my day. So who cares what other people think?" Aurelia says to herself.

"Hell, yeah." Rita encouraged, "That's right. You're the birthday girl."

"I won't hesitate to kick anyone out if they're an ass."

Haley and Rita high-five each other. It made Aurelia laugh and forget about what she was so nervous about.