Trust [Katara]

Walking through the crowded city, you sigh. No matter how many times you try to flirt with Katara, she never notices. It's like you're invisible to her. Maybe it was a bad idea to get feelings involved during wartime, but you couldn't help it. Katara's just so nice and pretty and strong and selfless, and why did you ever think that you actually had a chance with her? 

Toph nudges you, and you snap out of your melancholic thoughts. "There's heavy vibrations on the roof to our left. I'm guessing Dai Li agents. From what I'm feeling there are more agents up ahead."

Sokka nods. "We need to split up to avoid detection. Toph, you follow me and Aang." He turns to you. "Let Katara know what's going on and take her somewhere safe."

Glancing around, a feeling of nervousness washes over you. "Where is Katara? I thought she was following us."

"No," Aang says, "she stopped to buy some bread from the baker a bit ago. Go back, she should still be there."

"Alright, I'll find her. We'll meet back at the house in an hour." Running back along the road, you glance around, hoping to see her. Clouds grow overhead as you scurry along, and your nervousness grows with them. 

When you reach the bakery stand, Katara is already gone. As you turn to ask the baker if he'd seen her, a flash of blue catches your eye. Katara is ducking into a small shop and you quickly follow suit. 

"There you are," you say with a small smile. "We were worried, Toph said─"

"I know," she interjects. "Up on the roof, I saw them. Does Sokka have a plan?"

You shrug. "Maybe? All he said was for us to split up and meet back at the house in an hour. Other than that, I don't think so."

"Well, it's better than nothing. If we're all together they may figure out that we're looking for Appa."

You select an item from a nearby shelf and pretend to study it for a moment before placing it back down. When Katara shoots you a puzzled glance, you subtly nod towards the shopkeeper. "Pretend you're browsing. We don't know who we can trust."

"Sounds like a plan," she nods. Plastering on a smile, she asks, "So, have you been to the spa lately?"

"I haven't," you answer, forcing an equally fake smile. 

"Well I just went with Toph the other day and they have these new..." She trails off, glancing over at the shopkeeper. "Okay, now he definitely isn't listening. I know a place where we can hide out. But you'll have to trust me, can you do that?"

"I always trust you." When she turns to leave the shop, you smile sadly. If only she could trust you for once. 

She leads you out of the store towards a back alley. "There's a clothing store somewhere near here."

"I don't think now is the time to go shopping," you reply, looking at her with your eyebrows knitted together in confusion. 

She rolls her eyes. "It's not for shopping. There's a backroom that we can slip into undetected. They have a lot of places to hide in. Besides, I thought you said you trusted me?"

Slinking along the alley wall, you glance around. From what you can tell, no Dai Li agents are stationed here. "I think we're safe for now."

"We can't get too comfortable, follow me." Although you know she's just trying to get you both to a safe place, something about her attitude seems off. 

"Is everything alright?" you inquire. 

"What? Of course, I'm fine."

"You just seem a bit flustered. Or maybe that's just from being around me."

Once again, she rolls her eyes. "Now really isn't the time for your awful flirting." On the bright side, at least she noticed this time. 

Finally returning to a main street, she points to a store a few buildings down. "There it is, we just need to go around the back."

You walk down the street as casually as possible before winding around to the back of the store. A door is propped open to allow a breeze to enter the business and you stroll inside. 

The air is thick with humidity and you groan. If only it would rain, then the weather would be more tolerable. After walking around the back room, you come up with a plan. "I think I have an idea of where we can hide. But you're going to need to trust me."

Katara smiles softly. "I always trust you." As you turn away, you don't see her smile fall. She shakes her head, not sure how to convey her emotions anymore. 

"Look at this." You gestured towards the storage closet. "There's enough clothes in here for us to duck behind, and it's big enough for us to both hide in."

"Alright, I think it's the best option we have."

Stepping inside the small room, you realise it isn't as big as it had seemed. The clothes take up most of the space, leaving almost no wiggle room. 

"Well, it certainly isn't the best, but I don't mind." Katara smirks. "Y'know I never imagined you as a fan of closets and yet here we are..."

"Are you─" You tilt your head. "Are you trying to flirt with me right now?"

"Maybe," she answers with a light laugh. "I hope you realise I'm not totally oblivious to your flirting. It's just..." She looks down, not finishing her sentence. 

"It's just what?" you ask, sitting down next to her. 

Katara sighs. "I'm never sure if you're serious or not. Although I know you wouldn't intentionally try to hurt me, I still don't want to get hurt."

"What are you talking about?"

She averts her gaze, her cheeks flushing slightly. "I've always liked you, more than just as friends. But I didn't know if you actually liked me so I just ignored it. I mean, you've flirted with other girls before, and I worried that I was just another game to you, so I ignored my feelings ─ I ignored you."

It all makes sense now. Taking her hand, you smile. "Katara, I was always serious. You never seemed to acknowledge my flirting, so I kept it light. I'm not..." You sigh. "I'm not good at expressing how I feel, so I tried the only way I knew how. I'm sorry if it felt like I was messing you around, because I wasn't. I really like you, too."

Katara smiles brightly, and you grin back. She laughs. "We're totally oblivious, aren't we?"

"We really are," you chuckle. Leaning in, you meet her eyes. "Can I kiss you?" you whisper. 

She nods, and your lips press against hers. Softly at first, but as you both grow in confidence, you press harder, and her mouth opens to the pressure of yours. Your hands come up to cup her face and hers tangle in your hair as the kiss deepens. 

And then Katara pulls away, but stays close enough for her forehead to rest against yours. "We should head back soon," she says slightly breathlessly. "The others will probably be wondering where we are."

You hum in acknowledgement of her statement, tracing your lips down from her cheek to her jaw, and Katara's grip on your hair tightens. "Five more minutes..." you murmur against her skin, and she has to suppress a smile, trying to be reasonable and responsible. 

"Y/n, we really shouldn't stay here longer than we have to," she says, and you know she's right, but right now you really don't care. "We─"

"Come on, Katara, we've both waited so long for this," you interject, shooting her a smile that always makes her cheeks flush with warmth. "Five more minutes won't hurt." You lean in towards her again, stopping just before your lips can brush. You look into her eyes. "Do you trust me?"

Katara smiles slowly, looping her arms more firmly around your neck. "I always trust you."

And she must really mean it, because she lets you kiss her again. And again... and again...