Chapter 59

Zoe

Knowing my best friend is going to be alright fills me with joy. It was a hard time for her having been ditched by Mark and just months before the wedding. Who needs that in their life? I could happily have gone over to his and stuck needles into his eyes. Alright so that is a bit harsh, but you have no idea just how much I hate that man.

To be perfectly honest, I never really liked him from the start. When we were younger he was always a bit arrogant and had way too much self-assurance and not in a good way. He was always the kid who seemed to know it all. The girls, well they did like him and that only fed his ego some more. When Ava started dating him I wanted to warn her off him, but there was no telling a seventeen year old Ava anything. She was smitten with him. She never really saw what I saw when it came to Mark at school and growing up.

It wasn't even as if he didn't know what her dreams were made of, how much she always wanted to be a photographer. Ava is amazing she can bring out the best in people via her lens and if I had an ounce of that talent I'd be a rich woman. I am so excited for her to be meeting with an agent in New York, if anyone deserves it, it's my girl, Ava.

My phone rings and I can see it's my hot doctor, Nate. When this man arrived in our town a couple of years ago everyone and I mean everyone had the hots for him. With his sandy colored hair and blue eyes he looks like a young Robert Redford. Now tell me a woman who hasn't fancied him at some point. If you haven't, please get your eyes checked.

Then there is the dimple on his right cheek and when he grins, oh my gosh it does something wild to my insides. They go like jello. The best thing about Nate is that he doesn't quite realize just how sexy he is. He has this amazing body, he works out at the gym four times a week and it shows. His forearms are lean and when I glimpse those veins in his forearms I can feel myself lusting for him.

It hasn't been exactly easy getting a date with my gorgeous boyfriend. It has taken me nearly eight months of coming up with one illness after the other to be able to get to see him in his surgery. I am surprised he didn't write me off as some kind of hypochondriac.

When Ava first went to Spain I just so happened to go into our local Irish bar, Mickey's and there was Nate. Sitting quietly in a booth with a pint of ale. He was reading and ignoring all the girls at the snooker table who were trying relentlessly to grab his attention. They are another lot who I could happily stab in the eyes with needles. Have I got a thing about stabbing people in the eyes with needles? Erm, yes. Probably especially when they get on my nerves enough or when they hurt my best friend.

I made my way to the bar and ordered a nice cold glass of house white. I don't have the budget for anything else to be perfectly honest. My salon makes money and keeps me afloat but it certainly doesn't run to a champagne budget. Nate looked up and smiled. My knees went weak as I smiled back and took a sip of my glass of wine for Dutch courage. It was now or never.

"Don't tell me you're still busy working." I said standing by the booth where he sat minding his own business.

"Hi Zoe. Not really. It's just reading. A new study that's all." I didn't ask what about because I knew it would fly right over my head. "You can take a seat if you like." Really? Did he just say that to me. Butterflies tickled my stomach as they supercharged themselves around creating mayhem inside.

He looked at me pointedly. "Do you come out and drink on your own often?" It took me by surprise and I guess it was the doctor in him. Only I kind of had this whole scenario played out in my head.

You know the one where the guy you have a crush on says, "wow you look stunning tonight. Let's not waste any time and go to mine." I don't tend to beat around the bush, life is far too short. This is what I keep telling Ava.

"No, not at all. Ava has flown to Spain and the flat felt really empty without her. I just wanted a bit of company. That's all." I sat down opposite him, noticing how gorgeous his smile was.

"Ah. Ava. Yes. I know from her mother she's going on some big adventure." I found myself nodding and then hanging off every word he said from there on. It didn't take long for me to realise that Doctor Nathanial was crushing on me. The sparks flew and well you guessed it, I didn't wait for the second date.

I glance down at my mobile that is on my reception desk and read his message. "Be in late tonight baby, I have a last minute booking come in. Will bring Chinese home with me. Don't cook. I know it's been a long day and Ava has flown out to NYC." His message makes me smile. Is he a dreamboat or what? I can't believe my luck to have found him in this small town.

I send Nate a flying message back to say thank you and lots of heart emojis then message Ava.

"Hey sweetie. Hope you've got to the airport okay. I checked your flight and there is an hour delay. Such a bummer. We're having a quiet night in and a Chinese takeout. Stay safe and send me some awesome shots of the Big Apple."

I've never been to New York but it is on my list. To be honest, I've hardly travelled at all. Money has always been sunk into my business, rent and my car. I can't complain, having my own business has always been my dream.

"Yep, I just saw the board. Going to grab coffee and read a book in a corner somewhere. To think one day soon, this waiting around is going to be all behind me."

"You lucky, lucky girl." I message her back. "You will be living the life of luxury Ava."

She sends me lots of kisses, heart, flower and sun emojis. They're always pretty random. I place my mobile in my bag and make sure I'm ready to lock up and head off home for my hot date with Doctor Nate. I can't wait. Everything seems too good to be true that I almost feel as if I'm waiting for it not to be. I sigh and shrug the feeling away.