Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

          "How Was Your Time With the boys?" Hussaina Ibrahim enquired from her son the moment he stepped into the kitchen.

"Fine." Munir responded with a sigh as he dropped his phone and face cap on the kitchen counter before trudging  over to the fridge. He reached out to open it just as another hand reached out for it.

With a silent groan, he turned to find his sister, dressed in an oversized cable sweater paired over black leggings, standing there. On her feet were the weirdest pair of mid-calf socks he'd ever seen. They were made out of white and black fur that at first glance they almost looked like boots. Munir could not even begin to ponder upon where the socks had come from.

The air condition in the kitchen was on full blast and yet he could see the specks of perspiration dusting her hairline. He blamed her for dressing like it was the middle of harmattan.

Munir could still recall when his mother had called their family electrician to come set up the air conditioner. He had been around seven while his sister, Nooriya had been about five years old at the time. The heat had been terrible, he could still remember it because for a kid who hated being shirtless, he had been shirtless that day. His mother had repeatedly complained about how hot it was and how it made cooking difficult for her, so she had woken up one morning and left for the market where she'd purchased the air conditioner.

That day after it had been mounted up, Munir had laid on the tiled floor with his sister as the cool air washed over their heated skins. The both of them had looked at each other, honey brown eyes meeting as they laughed at a joke the electrician had shared.

His sister's soft eyes had grown hard over the years. Presently those almond shaped eyes were drawn with a blue eyeliner and had glittery black eye-shadow dusted over their lids. Her shoulder length hair was twisted into a messy brown knot at the top of her head and in her ears were the smallest pair of gold studded earrings. Munir quirked an eyebrow at her appearance.

"I was filming a makeup tutorial for my vlog," she explained, pushing her wire rimmed glasses up her straight nose. "Or at least I was trying to."

Munir's snort earned him a slap on the bicep before he was shoved out of the way. "I wonder how many trials it took for it to still look so...unsightly," he teased as he grabbed a seat next to their mother.

Nooriya rolled her eyes. "What do you want?" she asked as she pulled open the fridge and brought out a bowl of her homemade ice cream.

She had began an online catering course a few days back and had been tasked with making any flavored ice cream of her choice. When Munir had asked her why she was taking the course, she'd said she needed more contents for her vlogs.

"A spoon," Munir told her and when she looked over her shoulder at him, he offered a smile.

"Okay." She turned to their mother. "Do you want anything?"

Mulling it over, the darker, taller version of Noor decided that she too wanted a spoon.

Nooriya shook her head in slight amusement as she did as she was instructed. She kicked the fridge door closed after pulling a bigger bowl of ice cream out, then padded quietly to grab three spoons from their place.

"Is this some sort of family reunion or what?" she asked as she handed out the heavy steel spoons.

"I'm in need of something to cool my temper." Munir disclosed without much thought as he dug the stainless steel spoon into the mango flavored essence. He brought it to his mouth, and moaned in deep satisfaction as the combination of cold steel and bright flavor met his tongue. The coldness of the dessert washed over him in overlapping soothing waves.