SUMMARY - Execute- Book 2, Origin

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***

If you want to read Book 2, you can find it here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CCF9F5N8

********************

In the coming weeks, Emmett makes good use of his time practicing with his newfound strength and cybernetics, and helping Athena take out mutagen variant shipments around Belport. The variants are still being distributed by a third party. A fellow mask is defending the shipment and in the resulting fight, Emmett's whip is damaged.

Dr. Venture shows Emmett how to repair the damage, and the two also begin working on a quick-connect system for Emmett's arm that will allow him to swap out mods within seconds instead of minutes. After some debate, Emmett settles on a connection system that will allow for more potential as his capabilities grow. Emmett also takes his second mutagen variant from the raids—something that will boost his resistance to poisons.

While Emmett is working hard, so is his roommate. Lock's progress grants him an ominous meeting with one of the heads of Gnosis—a super powerful enough to unsettle Lock.

The next evening, Emmett and Clara go out to the abandoned warehouse district to test out her exosuit and Emmett's mods. During that time, they are approached by a patrol—two low ranking members of the Summit of Heroes. When the psychic (Serenity) tries to read Emmett's mind, Emmett is able to break free of her paralysis and use his prosthetic arm and pistol to fire at her, knocking her out of the fight with a nonlethal round. Then he helps Clara subdue the other magic ring-wielding cape (Hunter Nine).

Serenity retreats to a Summit substation and reports the incident to her supervisor, a fellow psychic that wipes the names of Emmett, Clara, and Dr. Venture from Serenity's memory. Hunter Nine is furious and they are left without leads.

Lock's powers are found out at the Dionysus Club where he works and the manager is forced to let Lock go. Lock isn't too upset because now he has a better paying job through Gnosis. His internship has been upgraded...

While Emmett continues rounding out his weapon loadouts, Dr. Venture becomes increasingly worried about TINA's development. Though Dr. Venture gives her direction, she's taking more of an active lead in research and development. Dr. Venture worries that he may have two unique and potentially dangerous technologies on his hands: TINA (a true AI) and Emmett (a 100% nerve-integrated cyborg).

While Emmett continues working on his final semester of college, TINA contacts him and recommends several upgrade paths for the rest of his body. Emmett is excited before he learns that this is one more step that TINA has taken without Dr. Venture's explicit directives... Emmett eventually settles on modifying his skeleton—an intensive procedure that will lace his bones with a titanium alloy. The surgery is successful, and though Emmett's recovery is fairly quick thanks to the Mutagen-A in his system, he has some worries that most of the procedures won't be reversible. He begins to wonder just how far he will go and what he will become.

When Emmett finally goes back out into the city, he meets a quirky gadgeteer named McGuire, who challenges him to a sparring match. The match ends with Emmett getting knocked around and McGuire getting tasered, then the two bonding over a mutual love of tech.

Lock comes home that evening, visibly shaken after having "a rough night" of work. In Lock's chapter, it's revealed that he killed several people as part of his new job with Gnosis. He is shook up from the ordeal, both because of what he did and how easy murder has become to him.

In subsequent tests on Emmett's health following surgery, Venture confides in Emmett just how revolutionary his prosthetic arm and nerve connections are. Emmett wants to help the world by being a super, but the technology they've developed could soon help thousands of amputees.