A Man of Unusual Talent: "There Were So Many" Chapter Three Part 3

Guilty excitement made Mat's palms damp as he drove the police cruiser out to the convenience store on the edge of town. Leaving Thorn to do a task he'd volunteered for didn't sit well, but neither did letting CC down.

The blue code said he should be more loyal to Holly than to CC...but he couldn't resist. Dillon had been right about one thing. Being a cop was the closest thing Mathias Giraud would ever come to being a hero, and ninety-nine percent of being a cop wasn't very heroic at all.

So why he should feel like a white knight charging to the rescue when all he was doing was going to take a report on a drive-off so a major corporation could write it off...well, he couldn't even pretend to himself that that wasn't about CC, could he?

He swung into the lot and pulled to a stop in the parking space directly in front of the door. The place seemed deserted, even CC's poor little Jetta wasn't there. Maybe he hadn't managed to get it cleaned up yet? Mat exited his car, then leaned into the seat to pick up his clipboard. He shouldn't feel this way...nervous, first-date jittery. CC had made it clear that he didn't want anything to do with Mat, and Mat, unlike Thorn, was a man who respected boundaries.

That's what he told himself as he entered the store, and if the smile he flashed a white-faced CC was not altogether professional, then he couldn't help that, could he?

"Mat? I thought you were sending Officer Thorn."

CC seemed relieved, and Mat applauded his own decision to come himself at the same time as he made a note to find out what was behind the fear that still lurked in CC's eyes. Why would CC be afraid of Thorn?

"I needed to get out from behind that desk. I was covering for Holly Briggs and... Anyway." Jeeze he hadn't felt this nervous since he'd asked Penny Myer to go to homecoming with him in ninth grade. He glanced around the store, seeking distraction. His gaze lit on the display of Avenger cups.

"Oh, cool. I have to get the Black Widow cup before I go."

"So, you're not all about the men, huh?" CC's pale face turned bright red.

Mat choked on air. "Ack." He swallowed around the jagged edge. "I...er...like all of the Avengers." He managed, hoping that his uniform pants were sturdy enough to hide the way his cock thickened.

"Sorry." CC mumbled. The odor of marshmallows intensified. Which should not have made Mat's situation worse, but somehow did. Faint noise emanated as though CC had knocked something over twitching. "I uh...if you want to go back to the office, I've pulled the security tape and got it cued to the right time, and printed out the read out of the meter." He pointed to an open door next to the restroom. "I can't really go with you... I'm the only one here..."

Mat nodded and gratefully turned his back on the pretty man with the enticing blushes and the sultry lips. Being with CC in a room the size of a closet when he smelled so sweet and enticing...and Mat was already well on the way to full arousal...it would be torture. "I'll get these filled out and then bring it out here for you to sign."

"sr?|/y