Chapter 4: What? (Emery)

"You did what?" my mom says over video call.
"I know it sounds insane. I just knew Violet needed help and she seems really cool."
"Emery, did you just tell us that you are letting a stranger stay with you while we're gone?" my dad says.
"Not a stranger and people are rarely "bad guys" in this kingdom."
"What if she is? I mean, we don't know because were not there but..." dad's voice trails off.
"Emery!" my sister, Lucy, shouts through the screen.
"I promise, it's okay," I reassure them.
"We are going to be calling and checking on you, okay?" mom says.
"Okay, thank you mom. How's the trip?'"
"I got cookies!" Lucy exclaims.
That answers that.

After getting off the call, I realize what I just did. What did I do? I helped someone who really needed it. Was it an insane decision? Yes.

"Come in," Violet says.
"Hi, I just wanted to see if you needed anything, since it's been like three hours," I say.
"I don't think I need anything, thank you for asking."
"Of course."
"Oh, Emery?"
"Yeah?"
"Are your parents worried about me being here? I don't want to make them worried or anything. I get it, they literally have no idea who I am. I don't mean to sound nosy, I just overheard and wanted to make sure it was okay."

Oh no, I knew I should have been quieter. I can be loud, sometimes.

"No, it's okay. You need to be here right now and its fun having an extra person in the house."
"Okay," she smiles.
"Oh yeah, I go to both school and work, so I have to leave early starting after the break. Will you be okay here until I get home on those days?"
"Yeah, it will be fine."
"Are you going to do homeschooling here?"
"Yeah, my schedule with it can be pretty weird. I have even done school at night before."
"Wow!"

I'm a little worried about leaving Violet home alone. She doesn't know the house well and I just met her yesterday. Luckily, I still have two days left of break because of the kingdom's holiday. We can do something fun tomorrow and the next day, then I'll see if she's ready.