II. Morning After

ABIGAIL WOKE UP in her own bed

ABIGAIL WOKE UP in her own bed. The minute Conrad fell asleep last night, she'd rushed to her own bedroom. Her tangled blond hair clung to her cheeks. She rubbed her eyes, crusted over mascara clinging to her eyelashes. She must've fallen asleep before she could even wash her face. She looked at her clothes. Abigail still sported the same outfit from yesterday.

She crawled out of bed, tugging open her suitcase. Her pajamas were buried beneath her bathing suits and underwear. Abigail pushed them aside, pulling her pajamas out. The familiar material of her brother's old Nirvana t—shirt and basketball shorts met her hands.

She slowly removed her dress from the previous night. It smelled of beer, coconut, and ashes. It all just reminded Abigail of her crazy ass night. Pulling her shirt over her head ached more than she would like to admit. Abigail groaned as she fixed the shirt around her waist. Slipping into the pants was harder. Her bones cracked and popped as they went through the material.

  She trudged to the bathroom. After making making sure no one was in there, Abigail began go wash her face and such. The cool water against her finger splints dulled the aching in her joints for a moment.

   "Mornin', dummy," Clay teased, leaning on the door frame. He was wearing his UCLA sweater his girlfriend back home had gotten for him. God, how Abigail adored Samantha Osborn.  "You sleep well. I heard Laurel yelling at you guys last night. Ma was askin' me 'bout it. Told her you weren't drinkin'."

   "I was drinkin'—"

  "I know. You forget, sweet little sister of mine, I know a lot about you." He pressed a kiss to her hair. Abigail looked at her tooth brush, laughing a  little. "Now, scoot. I gotta help Jamie figure how to get her truck movin' again."

  Jamie and Clay were friends. Or in other words, an ex situation—ship that turned into a weird friendship that consisted of getting high at the St James beach house and watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

  Abigail spit out some tooth paste. Fix Jamie's truck? It was just fine last night though. "What's wrong with Jamie's ride? It was fine last night."

  "It ain't startin'. And since I work at a auto shop back home, I am her personal Handy Manny." He put his tooth brush in his mouth. He hadn't combed his hair yet, so his little curls were sticking up all over the place. "What are you up to today?"

   "I dunno. Probably stay in the house, or head to the St James house."

   "Wow, what a day. You're so busy," Clay teased, poking her with the blunt end of his toothbrush. "You should go with Belly and the moms. They're goin' dress shoppin' for Belly's ball. I remember how excited Ma got. Her chance to see you in white."

Diane was overly excited while they were shopping. Laurel and Susannah had loved the idea of Abigail going into the deb scene. Abigail thinks her illness had something to do with it.