III. Moon Song

IT WAS THE last day, seven years ago

IT WAS THE last day, seven years ago. As the Parkers, Conklins, and Fishers were getting ready to bid farewell to the house, Conrad and Abigail were dividing their shells they'd found. Abigail grabbede a piece of sea glass, tracing its gentle edges with her chipped pink finger nail.

"Why do adults kiss?" Conrad asked, counting the number of shells in his palm. Twelve, Abigail noted. Twelve shells.

Abigail thought for a moment. Her mother and father stopped kissing after she turned seven. Then he'd left on her tenth birthday. She wasn't exactly sure why adults kissed. "Maybe they just like kissin'?"

Conrad rocked back in forth as he sat in a butterfly position. He played with the shells in front of him. "I've never kissed anyone."

Abigail blinked. Neither had she. "We could kiss? So see what it's like, I mean." Conrad stared at her, big brown eyes piercing her soul. Abigail smiled at him.

"Okay." He paused before leaning forward over the shells and other sea trinkets on his floor. He scooted forward, noses almost touching. "So I just put my lips on yours?"

  Abigail shrugged. "I think so." Conrad nodded, putting his hands on her cheeks. His hands were rough from football. Mr Fisher made Conrad play football all summer. It was hot and sticky and she got hit in the head once.

   Conrad's lips touched her's. Abigail tasted the Pepsi on his lips from lunch. It was twelve seconds long. She counted each one in her head. Her hands found their way to his shoulders. Then he pulled away.

  "Hi," he said, sitting back in his spot. Abigail's lips tingled from where they kissed. It was innocent, yet when she licked her lips to apply moisture, she still tasted him.

   "Hey," she whispered. She smiled at him. They sat beside each other, playing with shells as they waited to be called to leave. Abigail wished she could have stayed there, in that moment, forever.

SHE AWOKE TO Jeremiah's loud snoring

SHE AWOKE TO Jeremiah's loud snoring. His leg was over his as he snored, sprawled all over her bed. Abigail smiled at the sleeping boy and pulled her thin blanket over Jeremiah. She checked her phone, seeing a new group chat titled "Beach Bros"and texts from Belly. Something in the back of her mind told her nothing bad was going to happen between her and Belly.