Do You?

Kim Minjeong

I never thought he would mean that much to me.

I still remember the first time I met him. It was a sunny morning, I was walking around the campus, trying to get shade under the towering trees next to the green fields when a shadow appeared in my line of vision. I was in a hurry that time, I was late and my college professor would never let this go if I'll get caught. Annoyed, I looked at the person in front. He was sweaty and wearing a football jersey in his huge frame.

"Do you like me?" He asked. I was baffled. That's just so out-of-nowhere.

Ignoring his bizarre question, I flatly replied "No." and ran pass him to get to my class.

"Minjeong, here." Mark waved from the seats inside the restaurant where our class decided to have our after-party celebration from finishing the exams. The past months were hell and we awfully deserved this short celebration. I sat beside Ryujin and everyone were talking about what they wrote on the essay part or what's the answer on question 57. I gave up. I just picked up some smoking grilled pork and placed it in my mouth.

"Hey Minjeong, I'll bet my answer on question 30 that they're looking at you." Ryujin whispered beside me. I looked at the direction where her protruding mouth is pointing. I don't even remember what I wrote on the exam but she's right, those guys were staring at us. I shrugged. I'm not really interested.

"Jaehyun bro! You guys are also here?" I heard Mark calling out to a guy from the other table.

"Yeah, the football team won a match so.." He scratched the back of his head bashfully while taking some glimpse in my direction.

I downed a glass of soju and took another cooked meat on the griller.

"Everyone." Mark trailed of, catching our attention. "This is my best bud, Jaehyun. They won a football game against other universities. Let's give some cheers for my bro." He picked up his glasses and so did we. Everyone cheered for him before downing our glasses.

I didn't realized it but he sat on a chair beside mine with Mark adjacent to him. They were talking about sports and something I can't understand and somehow, I noticed his stares most of the time. I turned to him in realization. It was him months ago. That sweaty hunk who asked me if I like him though I don't even know him.

He noticed my gaze so he smiled at me. "Hey, I'm Jaehyun. Jeong Jaehyun." He offered his hands to me.

I took another glass and placed it in my mouth. "I know."

He put his hands down when he realized I'm not gonna take it. "You know me?"

I boredly nodded. "Mark introduced you earlier."

"Ahh." He nodded in realization.

It's a dead conversation. I only decided to mind my own business and stuff my face with food and alcohol.

"Do you hate me?" He asked all of a sudden which made me turn to him.

"No." I answered confusedly.

"Do you like me then?"

I scoffed. "No. Of course not."

"Then how do you feel about me?" This is getting ridiculous.

"Do I need to feel something about you? I don't even know you." I firmly answered.

"I'm Jeong Jaehyun." I rolled my eyes. He laughed which made me just ignore him and drink more.

The night is getting deeper and the people in the restaurant are getting drunk. Well, me included.