Chapter 8 - Burnt Food Is Delicious - Well, For The Gods Anyway

(MMK, so... um, I'm so sorry for not updating recently.😅 I was busy and stuff - I can't believe I haven't updated this in a month, lol. Mostly school. Anyway, PLEASE send me feedback and let me know about any things I can improve on.

I really would appreciate all of your guys' comments and suggestions!

And quick shout-out to   and  aqua_671 ! Thank you both for commenting on my book, they made my day. <3 So go follow them! They're both amazhang and really kind.)

I walk to the dining hall, fidgeting with the ends of my braided bracelet. I hated lines. They went so slow - like, go faster! Was it so hard? And it was just mine and Will's luck to be in the back of the line. (We lined up from eldest to youngest, which was kind of dumb. Hello? Hear about having mercy on those younger than you?)

I slipped my hand into his, and he gently squeezed it.

Just as the whole Hermes cabin (about twenty people - Travis had mentioned that most of them were at school) managed to shuffle in at the long table, Chiron walked - er, trotted - to the front. "I don't want to keep you all from your lunch - I know you all have been working hard, but I have a few announcements" he started, as some campers groaned dramatically.

"Capture the Flag is on Friday - in two days, and the Red Team won last week - the Apollo, Dionysus, Hermes, and Athena cabins. So Blue Team, be sure to finalize your alliances." The groans shifted into cheers. Travis or Connor must have explained what Capture the Flag was somewhere in the tour.

Then Dionysus - Mr. D - walked to the middle after Chiron silently insisting upon it. The god of wine gave an unnecessarily dramatic sigh. "Don't expect me to talk to you little rascals often. I'm only here because I have to be. Now. We have two new campers, Bill Kawless and Brillow Kawless."

A few campers murmured and looked at us while others searched the crowds. I glance at Will and frown. He shrugs. Those names don't even make sense - I swear he's doing this on purpose.

Chiron and Mr. D talked indistinctly for a moment until he continued, "Will and Willow Solace- whatever. Be nice to the little brats," he droned on slowly, "and all that rubbish. Good day."

Will and I sat down quietly at the dining hall, feeling pretty awkward, ignoring the burning stares we got from some of the other campers. "You know," Travis said thoughtfully; and randomly, "I just realized you two haven't gotten Camp Half-Blood shirts yet."

"Do we have to?" I ask out of curiosity. He turned to me and raised an eyebrow, "No, it's just for show."

I frown, and say a few things I'm not sure why I say, but I say either way - "Just because I'm nine doesn't mean I can't detect sarcasm. I prob'ly have a higher IQ than you, anyway."

Connor shakes a bottle of something, and Will crosses his arms.

Travis rolled his eyes, "No, you don't. I'm older, dummy."

"Just 'cause you're older doesn't mean you're smarter than me. Dummy."

"But it does. I've lived longer than you and have more experience."

"Says who besides you?"

Will chokes on his brisket while Connor drinks water, his face red.

Travis opened his mouth before closing it - reminding me of a goldfish. Connor chokes on his water laughing and coughing hysterically while Will glares at him.

"Okay, what is going on here?" Travis asks, turning to them both, eager for a distraction from his previous speechlessness.

Will scoffed, ignoring him. "Cheater!" he shrieks at Connor. "I did not cheat," Connor argued. "Yes you did," Will said sassily, crossing his arms and blowing a blonde curl out of his face.