Chapter 29: Downriver

Ber, Day 16 of Melia, Winking Moons, Year 602

Greater trillium, also known as leopard's bane, herb. See figure. Perennial with a blackish-coloured rhizome. When the plant flowers, blooms are yellow in colour and are utilized as often as the roots. —Arcane Herbs and Their Uses, Vol. 1

* * *

Bricot rolled over in his bunk that night, having turned in early after a supper of beef stew with chunks of potato and sweet, stewed carrots as big around as his wrist. Salt air and water travel always drained him faster than he expected, and he was spent.

Because it was so early, many of the passengers hadn't sought their beds, and the crew hadn't dimmed the lamps or called curfew. There was a circle of folks gathered at the center of the bunkroom. Some played dice or cards; others just spoke to each other quietly. At one point, a traditional shanty started up and several of them sang it softly, pleased to find a bit of culture they all were familiar with in this very unfamiliar setting.

Some of the children asked for stories, and one elderly man stood up and obliged everyone by giving them the tale of Pikyia and the Shadow People. Feeling very sleepy already, Bricot listened with half an ear.

Once, when trees could speak, the man began, Pikyia the Goddess of Chastity had mourned and buried her betrothed—Aethe the God of the Sun. 

Now, it was in those days that the Shadow People had risen up to plague the Divine Pantheon, waging war in the most insidious of ways. This would go on for decades, but in the beginning, many thought the manifestations of dark creatures and ghostly sounds existed only in their own fevered imaginations, or else or were the work of some mischievous wild animal.

Pikyia was lonely, forlorn, and kept only her own company, which prompted her friends and family in the Pantheon to prod her, saying, 'You must come out into the sun! Healing will come to you if you allow it!' and 'Poor Piykia has given up on life. You will only be young once, my dear!'

One night after the goddess had retired, there came a knock at her door.

Puzzled, she rose to see who it was, and when she opened the door, she nearly fainted. For there, standing before her all arrayed in splendor was her dead love, Aethe.

Upon the discovery, she abruptly shut the door in his face. When she opened it again and he remained, she fell sobbing into his arms. 'How can this be?' she cried. 'For you were dead and murdered, and now you are come to my door!'

He smiled at her with shining eyes and a mouth too full of teeth.

Pikyia felt of Aethe's skin, and while lustrous and pink with health, he felt cold to the touch. She said nothing, and entertained him until morning with songs and conversation, when he begged his leave and left her alone once more. When she wept to say goodbye, he assured her he'd be back with the next fall of night.

She told no one.

This continued for some time, with Aethe visiting Piykia by night and leaving at sunrise each day. At length, Pikyia grew haggard and exhausted. When she began to sicken, her friends became frightened for her and asked her why she had stopped sleeping.

Dota, one of Ydos' daughters and the mind health deity, was one of Pikyia's particular friends, and she knew that something was not right about the goddess. True, Piykia had mourned Aethe obsessively, but her body was now failing, and rapidly.

When asked, Pikyia could not keep the truth from her friend. She said that Aethe had come back to her from the dead and was courting her by night.