Chapter 31: The Way Out is Through

Ber, Day 25 of Melia, Solar Eclipse, Year 602

Who first described rain as the tears of the Divines? It's apt. —From the private journals of Bricot Camdetch, Master Alchemist at Craestor University from 600 to 604

* * *

In the great library, a cluster of perhaps eight students had assembled and were talking gently amongst themselves. There were a number of small wooden study tables and chairs—Evin remembered this area well from when she'd taken her aptitude test. The cat that had lounged about then was nowhere to be seen now.

A tall-ish master with brawny arms, thick hair, and a dark beard peppered with grey entered the library not long after they'd all taken their seats.

The group around Evin seemed largely happy to be there. They were all bright-eyed and alert. Some of them carried blank books, pots of kohl ink, and quills for taking notes. She hadn't bought anything and felt embarrassed by her lack of foresight. Everyone wore what pleased and suited them, though it seemed the Masters were uniformly garbed in long robes to differentiate them from their students.

"Morning," said the bearded man. "Nice to see some of you—Bela, Deryk..."

Evin's suitemate gave his master a grin.

"And I see some new faces as well," he continued. "I know we had some arrivals this week, and I commend you on attending this special bonus lecture. Welcome to Craestor."

Evin's heart sped a little at this, and there was a general murmur of response and a sleepy smattering of applause from her fellow students.

"I know," he said, indicating that he had not missed the paltry nature of their reaction. "It's early."

They all laughed.

"I'm Master Bomardier Ola. As many of you know, I conduct research on all manner of topics here at the University of Craestor, as do my colleagues. New students—so you know—these extra curricular studies do not have to be within our specific teaching areas."

His eye lighted on Evin.

"Hello," he said warmly, offering her his arm, which she clasped. "You're new. You are—"

"Evin," she said, then added, "Sacande." Her voice sounded strange in her ears.

But Master Ola smiled. "Sacande. To ascend. Let's hope so." Then he moved on to the other new student. "And you?"

"Trina," a girl with dark blonde braids replied softly.

He clasped her arm as well. "Welcome."

Ola left them seated at the study tables and took a spot in an open space where they could all see him. In his arm, he clutched a large textbook bound in black.

"Now," he said. "As some of you know already and the rest of you are about to find out, I have been researching Imbuements. Who can tell me what this is?"

For a moment, no one moved. Evin glanced surreptitiously around before hesitantly raising her hand.

"Yes?" asked Ola.

Before she knew it, Evin was quoting the definition from the book Arcane Herbs and Their Uses—the one Stacia had given her. "To imbue is to suffuse a substance with one's will and intention—in this case, a tonic, infusion, potion, philter, or elixir."

There was a general mutter from the small group and the man's eyebrows rose in surprise. "From Arcane Herbs and Their Uses. I'm impressed."

Evin's face coloured and she tried not to look around herself at the expressions on the other students' faces, but from the corner of her eye she caught a competitive glance or two.