Chapter 2: Beginning

Throughout the couple of minutes walking together, you passed the time by rambling on about your life to your new companion. But you realized he wasn't much of a talker but despite so, you knew him listening was enough when understanding he either chooses to or couldn't. When your ramble came across the topic about your friends, to his perspective, hearing how you went on with your days after ever single mistreatment done on you by your "friends" without realizing it was wrong was heartbreaking. He knew you couldn't let your friends go because they were your friends. No matter how evil they were. It saddened him.
    Currently zoning out, he didn't get to hear the first time you asked for his name. He eventually snapped out of his daze the moment you raised your voice a little louder to catch his attention. Looking down at you, you repeated your question one last time. "What's your name?"
    For the very next few seconds went silent between the two of you. The clicking of his shoes and your steps against the concrete below as well as the small clinking sounds of what you assume were keys and the never-ending piercing ring of an insect were the only noises around as you waited for the man's response. You watched him continue staring at a distance ahead before the both of you, seemingly as if he was pushing away your question. It was perhaps no use trying to catch his name so you gave up and continued walking in silence.
    Just as you thought he wouldn't answer, you looked up at him when noticing some movement in the corner of your eyes. He apparently took off his top hat, exposing his brown hair and pulled out what seemed to be an index card. Putting his hat back on, he hovered the card in front of you between his index and middle finger for you to take and so you did.
    Gazing down at the card, you took in the beauty of its orange lettering that read, 'The Jester'
    "The Jester," you recited under your breath.
    When slightly rotating the card, the letters gave a glint of shimmer to your surprise. You looked back up at the man with a slight smile and asked, "Your name is The Jester?"
    He nodded.
    "It's really nice to meet you, Mr. Jester! My name is (Y/N)," you proudly introduced yourself and outed a hand towards him to take. He noticed this and took your hand to shake.
    The magician admitted to himself that meeting you has been interesting and so far, pleasant. Not because you were the first child he has discovered dealing with a situation similar with your friends first hand, but your behavior around someone such as himself that gives off an impression of eeriness and unsettlement. Of course, you've shown great signs of anxiousness the first time meeting him but after that moment of cheering you up and offering to trick-or-treat was all it took to trust him. Though recalling how you acted with your friends regardless of their described cruel intentions, it was clear you can be like that with anyone once they display some sort of trustworthiness. Unfortunately, your trust was given to the wrong people no doubt.
How he despised children with capabilities of such thing.
    Both of you arrived at a lightened up home with no decorations showing their involvement for the spooky occasion other than an orange bowl up front resting on top of a stool surrounded by Christmas lights. You admired the presentation and walked over to it behind The Jester. He stood to the side waiting and expecting you to pick up more candy than the note taped on the bowl commanded but you did as it said.
    His gaze fixated on the bowl, specifically the paper, and ripped it from the tape.
    You noticed The Jester wasn't following behind and turned around. He was seen reading down at a card in his hand making you advert your attention towards the bowl. It was revealed the note you saw earlier wasn't on there anymore, giving the sign it was your friend who took it. He shoved the paper into his suit and held his lapel, turning and motioning you over again. You obeyed with your bag open which gave The Jester an easier access for all the candy to pour in after tilting the whole bowl. Some candy, nevertheless, spilt onto the floor because your grip on the bag accidentally slipped out of consternation at the sudden rebellion against the note.
    "W-Wait, what are you doing? The note says, 'Please take One,'" you stammered.
    As you got down to pick up the candy that fell out, The Jester carelessly walked away and stood at the sidewalk waiting for you to finish.
    He observed your surprising act of kindness—grabbing one handful of candy from your bag and dropping it back into the bowl before catching up and passing him.
    A child of hospitality, he thought while watching you get ahead of him.
    You turned around while frantically waving, "Come on, Mr. Jester! We have more houses to go to!"
    Amused with your enthusiasm, he began walking and continued both of your journeys.
    After a short while, one house caught your eye. It was clearly inviting trick-or-treaters to go and so you turned to The Jester.
    "Mr. Jester! Let's go there!" you excitedly said while pointing at the house. The Jester turned to where you were pointing at and nodded knowing what house you were referring to.
    After arriving on the driveway, the view in front of you practically created stars in your eyes. The garage was open but covered with curtains designed as medieval bricks and police tape while leaving an opening down the middle alongside blue fairy lights. Above the garage held a sign that read, "BEWARE" in large letters as the little ones underneath it read, "ENTER AT OWN RISK"
    Spooky noises played in the background, being the cherry on top to setting the scene.
Your enjoyment instantly faded away when the feeling of nervousness creeped up to you the more you looked at it. The Jester felt confused when he noticed you weren't budging after all the rush of enthusiasm and excitement you seemed to have seconds ago. Looking down at you to his side, he registered why. Hesitation read all over your expression. In an attempt to ease your nerves, he placed a hand on your shoulder, receiving a jolt from you but was quick to recover when realizing the hand belonged to your one and only friend.
    You managed a sigh and courageously took a step forward. The tension thickened with every step you take until broken by a man wearing a skeleton mask and black robe immediately jumping out in front. His attempt at scaring is to success when you yelped backing away. You didn't go far when a hand you know belongs to The Jester was felt pressed against your back. You shortly giggled at yourself after recalling the mini scare you endured as your attention was towards the man in front of you.
He himself was laughing before slipping up his mask to reveal his face and leaned down to your level.
    "Having fun tonight, are we?" he asked.
    Upon the question, you happily nodded.
His smile slightly widened to your response and said, "Ah, that's good to know! Here," he then reached his hand behind past the curtains to grab a huge orange bowl contained with eyeballs before letting you off to pick one.
    While being distracted, both adults were creating small chat, or in this case, the presumed homeowner was. He attempted to engage in humor by saying something funny and it even made himself cackle but it appeared to be the opposite for the masked stranger. The Jester responded with his unusually usual silence. Witnessing this, your attention switched between the two in confusion.
    The moment fortunately ended when the robed man awkwardly faked a cough and simply ended their interaction with a 'Happy Halloween' when the man before him continued his hushed demeanor before sliding his mask back on and entering back inside through the garage.
    Despite the man no longer there, The Jester stood carrying on to stare off towards the garage. It still settled you unease by his character, but you bear not mind it.
    The Jester finally spun around and walked away, leaving you to follow after and brush off his typical strange exchange of a response.