The 3-act structure

The 3-act structure is a simple, yet highly effective way to structure your story.

And yes, some level of structure in storytelling is a good thing

While it's definitely possible to "over-structure" a story to the point where it becomes too formulaic and constricts your creative freedom, that's a much rarer and more easily remedied problem than lack of structure.

The 3-act structure is used in all manner of fiction, not just in books, but in movies and other media as well. But unless you're a Hollywood scriptwriter, chances are you're looking for WP writing advice, so that's my focus for this post.

As the title rather unambiguously indicates, the 3-ac structure divides a story into three parts (Acts).

This is the Beginning, the Middle, and the End. 

Doesn't get much easier than that, does it? 

Indeed, if you pick your three favorite stories, books, or movies, I'm sure you can instinctively guess what parts are the Beginning, the Middle, and the End. That's because, more likely than not, these stories were built using the 3-act structure (or some derivation of it).

You'll often see the acts called the Setup, the Confrontation, and the Resolution.

So, in the simplest of terms, the 3-act structure is this:

Part 1, the Beginning, is where we get the Setup. Approximately 25% of the story.

Part 2, the Middle, is where the main Confrontation/Conflict happens. Approximately 50% of the story.

Part 3, the End, is when the story is Resolved. Approximately 25% of the story.

Let's go into a bit more detail, plus look at an example (Star Wars: A New Hope):

The first act is used to establish the MCs, their relationships, and the setting (world).

Example: We meet Vader and Leia and the droids over Tatooine, then are quickly introduced to Luke, Obi-wan, and Han (Chewie is not really a MC, but a sidekick). This very effectively establishes the world, the characters, their relationships, and the stakes.

Later, a dynamic incident occurs, known as the inciting incident, that confronts the MCs.

Example: The holo message from Leia isn't sufficient in itself. Only when Luke returns to the farm to find his uncle/aunt BBQed is the decision to go made.

Their attempts to deal with this incident lead to a second and more dramatic situation, known as the first plot point, which (a) signals the end of the first act, (b) ensures life will never be the same again for the protagonist and (c) raises a dramatic question that will be answered in the climax of the film.

Example: The Millennium Falcon blasts off from Mos Eisley. Nothing will ever be the same. Then Alderaan goes kaboom, and we are left with this question (the MCs aren't yet aware of this): Can the rebels stop the Death Star, or is all hope lost?

The second act typically details the MC's attempt to resolve the problem initiated by the first turning point, only to find themselves in even more trouble. The PCs are unable to resolve their problems because they do not yet have the skills or powers needed. They must not only learn but gain awareness of who they are and what they are capable of, in order to deal with their predicament, which in turn changes who they are. This is referred to as character development or a character arc. This cannot be achieved alone, and they are usually aided by mentor figures and fellow MCs.

Example: The MCs head to Alderaan. Luke trains in the Force. Han is reinforced as an unchanging rogue who's only in it for the money. Because Luke is barely trained and Han is such a bon-headed douche, they cannot yet hope to succeed. Plus, Leia is still in prison, but she arguably doesn't have much of an arc in this move: she's already dedicated and determined.

The midpoint of the story, which falls roughly in the middle of the second act, often features a turning point or significant revelation that affects the protagonist's journey.

Example: The midpoint is when the MC exists hyperspace and encounters the Death Star, as this exposes the true nature of the threat.

Act 2 ends with another major plot point, which leads to a crisis or low point for the protagonist and sets the stage for the final act.

Example: Our heroes get away, but only after Obi-Wan sacrifices himself, and Leia informs everyone that they were let go and are now leading the baddies to the not-so-secret-anymore base...

The third act features the resolution of the main story (main plot) and subplots.

Example: Rebels prepare to fight against hopeless odds. Han leaves.

The climax is the scene or sequence of scenes in which the main tensions of the story are brought to their most intense point, and the dramatic question is answered, leaving the protagonist and other characters with a new sense of who they really are.

Example: Snubfighters go pew-pew. Han returns to save the day (his character arc), Luke completes his character arc by trusting the Force, and the Death Star is destroyed.

After the climax, the story ties up loose ends and addresses any remaining subplots or character arcs. This part of the story should never be neglected as it provides a sense of closure and emotional satisfaction for the reader. 

Example: Everyone gets medals, even Chewie... or did he??? 

It's also the ideal time to set up a cliffhanger or foreshadow future events (if you're going to do a sequel)

Example: We (but not the heroes) know that Vader is alive. And the Empire isn't fully defeated. Good setup for the next movie.

If you want to read more about the 3-act structure, there are many, many online sources.

Anyway. I hope you found this post interesting and thought-provoking.

Now go write something.

Felix