𝐒 𝚎 𝐯 𝚎 𝐧

𝙁𝙊𝙍 𝙏𝙃𝙍𝙀𝙀 𝙒𝙀𝙀𝙆𝙎 𝙎𝙃𝙀 has been doing this, and each night she slips out her window and into the golden city, not even the soldier notices Halah has disappeared amongst the waves, all thanks to Katara's recent training. If only the woman had a map of Republic City. It'll take months for her to learn the ins and outs of the bustling maze, to memorize the layout of the towering structures.

          For now, all she needs to remember is the route to Usoza's Table. In the northeast corner of the bayside city where concrete meets hillside, far from where light pollution can reach, the pub leaks onto the streets its nighttime chatter and ambient lantern glow from the corner. Best known for their underground (and illegal) weekend Pai Sho tournaments, Usoza's Table attracts Rebublic City residents of all the likes. Most of Halah's life involved a sickening amount of Pai Sho consuming her free time, only now she can put her undefeated record to (financial) use.

For her fifteenth birthday, with the winnings she had accumulated in the year prior, she gifted herself the pair of shoes she had been eyeing in a shop for months. Each night she slipped out the back door, her only belongings being a small sack of Yuons tied to her belt, she gambled her way to the price tag attatched to the laces weaved through a set of brown boots that are now scuffed and creased as they tap against the floor of Usoza's Table.

Under the sorry excuse of a disguise, Halah smirks behind the thick maroon scarf draped across her hair and bundled under her chin as the man across from her slams his fists against the tabletop, sending game pieces soaring through the pub. The grumbled curses he sends go ignored. She simply raises her mug and takes a swig. Stray droplets attempt to race down her chin, and with a swipe of her tongue they disappear before making the trip.

It had only been Halah's second time playing against the sore loser, and just like before, the Avatar came out on top. Only in this event, the bearded nonbender has had enough with forking over his losses to some little girl too afraid to show her face wholly.

          The man, whose name Halah doesn't care to learn, splays his calloused palms stained with a lifetime's worth of grime across the Pai Sho board and rises from his seat, labeling her a cheat.

          "You can't cheat at Pai Sho," Halah monotones in response, bored of his accusation as she resets the table with the game pieces. "Although, one can be too incompetent for it. Better luck next time. Who's next?"

The animalistic growl that comes from him next entices a giggle from the girl. The idea that he actually thinks he can provoke any fear in Halah is humorous, only angering him more, and he rounds the table, towering over her as she continues nonchalantly with not a glance in his direction.

"I don't take kindly to being humiliated by a stranger, kid. And I'd bet my last Yuon that you're not even allowed to be in here."

"Perhaps I am not very fond of strangers calling me a cheater." Halah head finally snaps upward to meet his challenging gaze, and he narrows his glare on her, only she returns the gesture with a tilt of her head. "But, I understand you're having a hard time handling your emotions, so I'll let this one go."

Turned halfway in her seat, ready to face her next opponent, she's snatched up under her arm and her fabric cover is torn from her face. Nostrils flared, Halah can feel the man's hot breath against her cheek, and it reeks terribly of the variety of beverages he has consumed. Those surrounding them have given them space and watch them with unease, awaiting the moment the burly creature lays his hand on who they recognize now as the young rescued Avatar.