❓| Chapter Three: Stuck In

╭─────────────────╮
RE: DUSK COUNTY, Chapter Three: Stuck In
╰─────────────────╯

I walked down the hall. I finally located the offices I was looking for! Strangely, the two were by each other. To dig deeper, I should ask about this! So, I walk in the door.

"Haha, hello, Detective Sparks," my voice communicated with a nervous chuckle.

"Come in. I know why you're here," the fellow detective responds.

Usually, my husband would call me a pet name, like "honey" or "baby." He doesn't do that at work, I'm glad. That would embarrass me to death if any of my co-workers heard that. When I listened to his reply, I came to his office.

"Mhm," I answered.

"We are both aware of the case. Or at least I hope you are. Anyhow, I am assuming you want to know more. Maybe discuss it?" Detective Sparks suggests to me.

When traumatic things happen in movies, everyone looks like an emotional mess. In this world, it just looks like shock.

"Uh. Y-yes, that's a good idea," I say back.

My voice started to stammer and stumble again.

"Well, You can start if you'd like," Detective Sparks presents to me.

It feels weird to call him "Detective Sparks" instead of Brixten. I really should be used to it, but fuck it. Wait, I can swear in my head, right? Nobody will hear. Ha, get on topic, Kenna! What are you doing?! My brain runs off too much.

"Okay, we know... The. The husband got- Um," he can't even get through his words.

"Stabbed," I finished that sentence for him.

Brixten. Or should I say "Detective Sparks" should know it's okay to be vulnerable with me, as we are husband and wife.

"You're right, Detective Robin. It's just hard to digest, you know? We haven't had a murder in a long time," Detective Sparks replies.

"I can see why your brain is out of place," I was a little speechless, but at least I attempted to speak.

"Yes, you can," he says back in response.

"Let me try to explain again," Detective Sparks tried desperately.

What is so off about those eyes of his? It seems like- Well. I don't know. Uh?

"After the murder happened," he takes a breath.

"We came to the crime scene, a dead man and no suspect," Detective Sparks completes his sentence.

Oh no, what's next? I've never seen such a blank expression on his face before.

"A knife, clean at that... No gun was present, but gunshot wounds were," Sparks keeps confusing me.

No blood on the knife. What?

"Detective Sparks, explain the knife. Please," I begged him.

"Um, well. I. I suspect that it was not the same knife. This unknown murderer or murderess must have taken their bloodied items with them," he clarified.

All of this isn't a fever dream anymore. It's fucking reality. It sounds like my thoughts are more blunt than my actual words.

"Hon," I ask, worried.

He looks at me. I don't think Brixten can say anything back.

"What's that in your eye?" I questioned him.

Oh no. No, no, no. Please don't tell me my dear husband is tearing up. No. It can't be! Am I going crazy? He's not crying, is he? No. Oh no.