Bittersweet Meetings

Before we left the last boutique, I changed into this green colored dress from Alexander McQueen. It was nothing too fancy, and it was easy to move around in. Not to mention the look in Sam's eyes when he seen me in it; that is what convinced me to purchase it. Once we left the shop, we went straight to Miranda's house.

As we pulled up to Miranda's townhouse, I could feel my nerves getting the better of me. I haven't seen her in almost twenty years and I am unsure what her reaction will be. After Sam got out of the car, he came around the passenger side to open up my door for me.

"Thanks," I uttered softly.

"I'm sure everything will be fine, love," Sam reassured me as he took me by the hand and kissed the back of it.

When we reached the front door, Sam knocked slightly before entering. "Cara, I'm here," he called before walking us up the stairs and into the family room where he knew the kids would be.

xxx

As soon as Sam and I walked into the room, two of the most adorable little toddlers ran to Sam as they hollered, "DADDY!"

Sam knelt down to the level of the toddlers. "Max, Layla, do you remember daddy telling you about my friend, Donna?"

In an adorable toddler lisp, Layla asked, "The pwetty lady in da picture?"

My heart jumped a little at that.

"Yes, my little love. Her name is Donna. You remember how I said I was going to visit her?"

Two little heads nodded up and down a few times in a silent yes.

"Daddy married her, do you know what that means?"

I bit my lip and was very curious and nervous to see what Max and Layla's reactions were going to be.

Layla answered for both of them, "Not weally."

"Well, Donna and I love each other so much that we said some very nice words to each other and signed a paper that made us husband and wife. Do you know what else that means?"

The twins gently shook their heads and said no.

"It means that when I married her, she became your new mommy."

I knelt down next to Sam as best as I could while wearing this dress. Softly, I asked them, "Are you alright with that?"

Max and Layla gasped and hesitantly whisper-asked, "Ca-can we call you, mommy?"

My heart melted as they asked that. "If you would like to, little loves."

After almost forty-five minutes of playing with both sets of twins, we heard the front door open and close, followed by the somewhat loud click-clacking of heels.

I had Layla on my lap as I read a book to her. I didn't dare look up because I feared rejection from someone I once held close to my heart.

As Miranda stepped into the room, she said with fury, "I better be dreaming and you better not be here."

"You're not dreaming. I really am here."

I gulped as I finally looked up at her. She was absolutely pissed and I don't know why.

"GET OUT."

"Miranda." Sam said in a warning tone.

"Don't you dare Miranda me. I have spent the last two decades thinking that my sister was either ignoring me or she was dead. My mother said that she was nothing but a little slut and that if she did die, she deserved to die the way she did... by the hands of some slime-puppy of a man. GET OUT, DONNA. GET OUT... R-RIGHT NOW!"

I had tears falling down my cheeks as I gently lifted Layla off my lap and set her down next to me.

"E-ex-cu-use m-me," I sobbed as I ran out of the room and straight out the door, collapsing on the stairs.

After five minutes of continuous sobbing, I heard the front door open and Sam and the twins exit the townhouse. He told the twins to go get into their car seats and get buckled, before helping me up and guiding me to the car with his hand on my lower back. "C'mon darling, let's get home."

The ride back to the penthouse was silent except for the occasional hiccup from sobbing. I was deeply hurt that my mother would feed Miranda lies. The fact that Miranda believed them and doesn't care to have me around or speak to me, at least for the time being, hurts more than anything because of how close we used to be.

When we arrived back at the apartment, the first thing I did was head to the master bedroom and crawl into the bed and cry. I didn't really want to cry, but I was overwhelmed by Miranda's response to me being at her house and the emotions of seeing her after a little over two decades of no contact. Through the door, I heard Max ask Sam why I was sad. Sam told them that Aunt Anda hurt mommy's feelings. It was true, Miranda did hurt my feelings.

A little bit later, the bedroom door creaked open just a little and I felt something, or rather someone, trying to climb up onto the bed. I turned onto my side and seen Max crawling toward me.

I sniffled and quickly wiped the last of the tears from my face. "Hey, little man. What are you up to?"

"Just want a hug."

Sitting up, I scooped up and sat him on my lap. Having his tiny arms hugging me made me feel happier, even if only a little bit. "Thanks honey, mommy needed a hug from you."

We were almost half-asleep when Sam opened the door all the way and Layla jumped on the bed and cuddled up next to us. Sam leaned into the door jam with his arms crossed, "I could get used to this; to seeing the love of my life snuggled up with our children."

I smiled softly, almost dreamily. "I could get used to it too. Although, I am guessing that isn't the only reason you're standing in the doorway?"

He pushed off the door jam and walked over to the bed, sitting next to me and hugging all of us to him. "It isn't. Miranda called and she wants to come over tomorrow for dinner with Caroline and Cassidy. She thought that maybe here would be a neutral ground of sorts to civilly hash things out between the two of you."

Tomorrow night could either spell disaster or it could be the start of a new, improved relationship with my sister.

xxx

Next chapter is the dinner! As always, I don't have a set update schedule so... in the mean time, leave a review?