Chapter 4 - Charming Little Devil

I usually liked parties. Well, I enjoyed the festivals in the village. I didn't have to wear heavy robes and fancy hairdos. I could enjoy the lively chatter of dragons having fun. However, this was not the kind of party I wanted to be at.

And it was because of him.

A devil had taken away my sister and was making her giggle and smile like crazy. They were dancing near the edge of the open pavilion where the celebration was being hosted. The middle was reserved for adults dancing, so they stuck to the edge near some tables. I was seated at one of these tables, grumbling into a glass of juice. It wasn't fair. This wasn't fun. Why was that kid stealing my sister? Why was she so into it? Ugh.

"Someone's not having fun," a teasing voice whispered by my side.

Akira sat down in a chair beside me, reaching out to steal my cup. Hissing, I moved the cup away from their grasp. "Said who?" I asked, looking away.

"No one, but it's pretty obvious. You're sulking as if you got punished. Did you?"

"No," I huffed. "Yuki is ignoring me."

Akira chuckled. " I doubt that. She seems to be having fun with Mizuki's brother. Why don't you join them?"

I rolled my eyes. Yeah, totally. Let me join them so I can strangle that kid. I didn't even know why I was so upset. Maybe my mood was just too soured. It didn't really make sense to me, but Akira seemed to understand because they leaned in to hug me. They sighed, squeezing my shoulders lightly. "I see what the problem is. You're jealous."

"Yes!"

"Of Yuki."

What. I shrugged his arm off my shoulders to glare at him. "No," I hissed. "I'm jealous of that little devil. He's stealing Yuki's attention."

My brother raised an eyebrow at me. "Right. He's stealing Yuki's attention. Well, maybe joining them will help you feel less left out. Sulking here won't do anything, Rin."

Ugh. Why did they have to be right? "But, he's so...nice," I protested.

"I didn't know being nice was suddenly a bad thing," my brother laughed.

Okay, so they didn't get it. What, I don't know. But whatever it is Akira didn't get, it made them dumb. I looked over at where Yuki was with that kid, and they were still laughing and dancing. The charming bug even had an arm around my sister's waist! Even from here, I could see the blush on Yuki's face. My brows furrowed. Maybe I should go over there to keep Yuki away from that dragon.

"I'm going over there," I announced.

"Good luck, Bug," Akira said, watching me stand up and head over to the two giggling kids.

Haru was the first one to notice me. He smiled when I got closer, untangling himself from Yuki to wave at me. "Hi, Rin!"

Yuki turned to look at me with a similar grin. "Rin! Haru is soooo good at dancing. You should join us," she offered, reaching out to grab my hands in hers.

My sister pulled me into their little group, causing me to stumble a bit over my feet. She was so strong when she wanted to be. Haru smiled at me and my stomach fluttered. Why'd he have to be so...so...?

"You look really nice, Rin. I love your hair," he spoke up.

"Right?" Yuki jumped in, "Rin's hair is so smooth and silky. I wish my hair was as nice as theirs."

"Your hair is nice, too, Yuki," Haru replied.

Ugh. Yuki giggled as she let go of my hands to do a little twirl, her robes flaring out around her like an ocean of fabric. She always looked so beautiful in formal attire. Like an attendant of Ryūjin himself. Magnificent as she was, her large heart made her even more beautiful. That loving soul reached out no matter what. It annoyed me sometimes, like right now.