Chapter 4

Preston:

Veronica's exceptional efficiency became increasingly apparent in recent days as my new personal assistant. She adeptly handled every task with grace and precision. Yet, it wasn't just her competence that captivated me; there was an enchanting warmth in her smile and an elegance in her demeanor.

As the charity ball neared, an idea began to take shape in my mind. Typically, such events were dull affairs filled with polite small talk and feigned interest in causes I had little connection to. However, the prospect of having Veronica by my side stirred unexpected emotions within me. I recognized the imprudence of my desires, but I couldn't deny the magnetic attraction I felt towards her.

Sitting in my office, signing the letter, excitement and nervousness swirled within me. It was a daring move, considering our professional relationship, but I couldn't resist the gravitational pull drawing me to her. Her smile during our meetings, her confident grace—all of it was captivating. The expression on Marge's face when she learned of my choice, selecting an employee over her, would be priceless.

I understood the need for caution. Veronica was considerably younger, and our initial encounter was far from ideal. Nevertheless, I couldn't deny the profound connection I felt. It transcended mere physical attraction, a deeper connection that made me feel alive once more. I was willing to explore it, even if it meant venturing beyond my comfort zone.

Veronica:

Mr. Kauscher is undeniably intimidating, but I cannot ignore the fact that he is the most handsome man I've ever seen. It's improper to ogle one's boss, especially considering the age difference.

Stepping out of the shower, I donned the bathing suit. Not only had he invited me to accompany him to the charity ball, but he also arranged an entire ensemble—a princess-like gown, accessories, and even a makeup artist to transform me.

I couldn't fathom attending such an important event. My past Christmases were spent alone in my apartment, wrapped in a blanket. The idea of being dolled up like a princess didn't sit well with me, but I had no choice but to comply.

The skilled hands of the stylist expertly adorned me in an exquisite gown—a flowing, full-length skirt that cascaded gracefully to the floor, crafted from opulent and shimmering satin. Its bodice was adorned with delicate lace, featuring a sweetheart neckline and off-the-shoulder sleeves. The neckline revealed more cleavage than I would normally feel comfortable with, but in this Cinderella-like transformation, I had little room for protest, especially when it was my boss orchestrating it.

"Miss Veronica, you look absolutely gorgeous," the stylist exclaimed in her charming French accent.

Her statement was accompanied by a soft sigh. "I've been dressing Miss Layla and Mrs. Kauscher for so long, but they don't even come close," she added.

I responded with a polite smile. "Thank you, Miss Marie."

The bell signaling Mr. Kauscher's call interrupted us.

"Boss calling," I announced, gathering my gown and heading to his office.

I knocked softly on his office door and, hearing his invitation, I stepped inside. Mr. Kauscher was impeccably dressed in a sharp suit but appeared to be grappling with his tie.

"Veronica! You need to help me with..." he began to speak, but his words trailed off as his gaze met mine. His eyes widened, and he seemed to swallow hard. A deep blush painted my cheeks as I felt self-conscious under his intense scrutiny. His eyes lingered on my chest momentarily.

"Sir?" I gently prompted, my voice carrying a hint of uncertainty.

He collected himself, taking a deep breath and clearing his throat. "Yes, sorry," he stammered, still captivated by my presence. "You need to help me with my tie."

As I stepped closer to assist him, our fingers brushed ever so lightly, sending a shiver down my spine. His enticing scent intertwined with my own perfume, creating an intoxicating blend. His magnetic allure was undeniable.

With the tie successfully fastened, I moved back to retrieve his dress coat from the stand, a task I had been briefed on. Once he was properly attired, he turned to me, a question in his eyes.

"Ready?" he asked, and I nodded in response, somewhat perplexed. However, he extended his hand in a gentlemanly gesture. I blushed, appreciating his courtesy, and took his hand as we made our way together to the elevator.

Upon arriving at my bedroom door, Mr. Kauscher's son, Holden, raised an eyebrow in surprise. He seemed taken aback by the unexpected sight of his father and his secretary exiting the room together, appearing as if they were headed for a date. Holden's unexpected presence by my bedroom door added tension.

"Oh, Dad, I was just... never mind," Holden muttered, shaking his head, clearly flustered by the situation.

The silence in the elevator was awkward, but at least Mr. Kauscher had released my hand.

The atmosphere grew even more strained when we encountered Mrs. Kauscher in the lobby. Instead of acknowledging her, he placed his hand on the small of my back and guided me toward the car.

Once inside the limo, as the driver started the engine,and we headed towards our destination.

Veronica:

"I see you're enjoying yourself today," Mr. Kauscher remarked, and I was taken aback. For a small-town girl like me, this grand party was a thrilling experience. Mr. Kauscher had extended his arm, and we walked arm in arm, drawing judgmental looks from onlookers. Publicity was his goal, and controversy was his means.

"Yes, thank you for bringing me here. This is amazing, sir," I exclaimed.

"You go everywhere I do," he replied sternly, a hidden smile in his eyes. I blushed uncontrollably.

"Would you like to dance?" he asked, and I eagerly nodded. He led me to the dance floor, holding me close. He gracefully led me to the dance floor, and we moved in harmony with the music. His arms enveloped me, drawing me closer to his warm embrace. My hand rested delicately on his shoulder as we swayed to the rhythm of the song. It was a moment of sheer perfection.

As the music shifted, couples around us exchanged partners, but Mr. Kauscher held onto me, refusing to let go. He pulled me even closer, and in the intimacy of the dance, his voice, like a seductive whisper, brushed against my ear.

"My secretary stays only with me," he murmured, sending a fiery blush surging through me. How could he utter those words so provocatively? I found myself rendered speechless, captivated by his presence, lost in the enchantment of the moment.

Mrs. Kauscher's glare was unmistakable, but it wasn't my place to question their relationship. My job was to fulfill Mr. Kauscher's wishes, for which I would be handsomely compensated.

Preston:

Ah, the allure of a grand ball, with its opulence, elegance, and the anticipation of dancing the night away with a captivating partner. Arriving with my beautiful secretary while my wife came alone was sure to fuel gossip columns and generate publicity, benefiting my business.

However, my emotional attachment to Veronica was a complication I couldn't ignore. My feelings for her were growing, and I knew they were dangerous. My desire for her was apparent to all, and I was well aware of the pain of knowing she couldn't be mine forever. This gentle, gorgeous girl I held close wasn't meant to be mine long-term.

For now, I played pretend, pretending that everything was perfect. Veronica was my beautiful companion, and we kept the conversation strictly business during dinner, with Marge on my right and Veronica on my left.

I decided to leave the event earlier than planned, escorting Veronica away with me.