● ᴇᴘɪꜱᴏᴅᴇ 3: 𝙡𝙤𝙨𝙩

" 𝐢'𝐦 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐢 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮

𝐢'𝐦 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐢 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮... "

•●° ¡ ________________________________________ ¡ °●•

Author P.O.V

That was all a year ago. Shinari was 11 at the time of her being adopted into the Butterfly Sisters. During that year she acquainted herself with them and got to know all of them better. She took a liking to Kanae's loveable personality and enjoyed conversing with Kanao. She also admired Shinobu's method of slaying demons using poison, and despite having less strength she still continues her demon slaying path, and is flourishing in it.

A newcomer joined their family afterwards. Kanzaki Aoi, a poor girl who lost her parents to the demons, traumatized by the Final Selection and chose to throw away her blade. She ended up being coached by Shinobu on healing so that she can help around the Butterfly mansion.

Aoi was a kind and caring girl, but can be strict and short-tempered. Shinobu even admitted that she was like her own carbon copy. But Shinari was mainly glad that she could have another person to talk with while the older girls were busy.

"Aoi-san, why did you stop being a hunter?" She asked one afternoon, as the two girls were tending to the garden behind the mansion. 

Aoi paused for a minute, constructing her answer. "Well... I guess I see myself as weak. I only survived the Selection by pure luck."

Shinari didn't say anything, as she gently watered the roses. 

Suddenly Aoi spoke again. "I hope you won't end up like me, Shinari-chan."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because I know that you're strong, not just physically but you have strong will, too. You shouldn't let it go to waste."

The next few minutes were spent in silence. After the garden duty was finished, Shinari found Kanae and asked her about the earlier event.

"Aoi is still shook by what happened." Kanae said softly. "She still blames herself, but give her time and she will heal."

She needs to heal, Shinari repeated in her mind. Just like me, but even after a year... Did I heal?

Of course not. Shinari stills has nightmares about that fateful night. She still visits their graves whenever she could and still weeps over them. So in short, she hasn't healed at all, and probably never will. 

"Aoi-san is very much like Shinobu-sama." Kanao mentioned. It was night, the moon was in full high in the sky. The two girls always have a conversation before falling to slumber.

"I agree, but don't you think Aoi-san would've made a great Slayer? It's a shame she quit."

Kanao nodded. "Maybe demons are really that bad... they made her lose hope."