Chapter 10

Armin landed comfortably on Muka-Unta's back; he had already discussed the plan with Brashik, so he knew to fly over to Muka-Unta's tail and began to peck, scratch, and do everything else at it. This was a slight distraction to the gigantic dragon clapped its wings above its head in an attempt to make Armin fall off—and then began shaking—but by now Armin was quite good at staying on top of dragons and was able to run towards the dragon's neck. Muka-Unta lifted its neck, and Armin slipped, but just about managed to grab onto one of Muka-Unta's teeth. Muka-Unta began to blast fire, searing Armin's hand. He instinctively pulled it back, making him lose his grip. Brashik flew just under, catching Armin. They were now face-to-face, with Armin's left hand basically unusable. He pulled out the serum of baskle spit and threw it at Muka-Unta's mouth, but it simply didn't open its mouth, meaning the only thing resistant was his jaws. But Armin still had a little left and some confidence. So as Muka-Unta sent a beam of white, hot heat towards Armin's feet, he jumped towards Muka-Unta, and Brashik dove below. Brashik stuck his wing up and ran along the belly of the dragon, which cut the skin but didn't go through to the blood. He tried to run back again, but Muka-Unta's tail was already there, smashing into Brashik's side and making him fall down. Brashik turned around and shot up back to the fight, albeit with a slightly hurt wing. Meanwhile, Armin climbed on top of Muka-Unta's head while dodging bites. Once he pulled out the baskle spit mixture, Muka-Unta shook its head aggressively to get Armin off. Armin held his sword in one hand and the bottle in the other. With the sword, he tried to stab the dragon's eye, but it blinked, and somehow even its eyelid was thick and hard enough to resist the blade. The sword slipped from Armin's grip; he instincively went to grab it, making him lose his footing and almost fall, but just grabbed onto the dragon's horn. Muka-Unta unleashed fire, and Armin dropped, just avoiding the flames. Sword in hand, he struck the dragon from below, distracting it just long enough for Brashik, who was still tussling with the tail, to realise that Armin was falling. He dashed to catch him and just managed, but Muka-Unta was just able to nip Brashik's foot as he flew by, ripping it straight off. Brashik started bleeding profusely from his leg but managed to catch Armin. Armin saw this and knew what must be done. Brashik, with not much strength left, went straight up, landing Armin on Muka-Unta's back, then flew to the ground to try and heal—or at least rest. Armin was alone with Muka-Unta.

Muka-Unta turned its head around to blast fire at Armin. Armin dove and laid on the dragon's back, then Muka-Unta smashed its tail at Armin, so he rolled to the side. He was now on Muka-Unta's wing. Muka-Unta retracted its wings and climbed, going higher and higher into the sky. Armin just about managed to grab onto a spike on Muka-Unta's back, but due to the extreme force, it loosened and fell, grabbing another. Now armed with this knowledge, he carefully reached for the spike above. Grunting, he climbed. Muka-Unta stopped climbing in order to clap its wings above its head repeatedly, then continued hammering its own back with its tail. Armin could no longer stand up straight or get hit by its wings; he also couldn't stay still for long. Then he had an idea: as the tail came down, he grabbed one of the dragon's wings from above him and, using all his force, managed to keep it up for just seconds, then dived to the floor, splitting seconds before the tail came down, making it tear straight through the skin flaps of Muka-Unta's wing. Armin looked around; the tail was now being dragged along Muka-Unta's back like a sweeper. As Muka-Unta swivelled its head around to look at Armin, he reached for his Baskle spit mixture but realised he had dropped it earlier. This meant that as Muka-Unta blasted fire at whichever side of its back Armin was on, its tail had just been. Armin jumped on top of the tail, then leaped in the air and fired a lightning bolt at Muka-Unta's head. Muka-Unta rapidly turned its head towards the lightning bolt and shot scorching flames towards it. The energy of these two forces combined caused the fire to get much more powerful for a brief moment, before an explosion that launched Armin a bit in front of Muka-Unta. Armin, who was still holding his sword in one hand, grabbed onto a spike on the side of the dragon's head. Muka-Unta shook its head and bit at Armin, whose grip slipped.