ONE; Jealousy

I stared at the long pages beneath me. The Book of Potions was laying open on my desk as I stared mindlessly down on its crowded words. I hadn't been listening to Snape for the past 10 minutes now and he hadn't even noticed.

I looked up, my eyes meeting Pansy's. She smiled and came towards me. "Are you ready?" she asked, taking a halt next to me. "For what?" I raised my eyebrow at her. "Snape just told us to start the recipe?" she laughed, narrowed her eyes and started gathering the things we needed. "Have you not been listening at all?"

I shrugged, hopping off my chair to stand next to her. I scanned the pages. We were making Felix Felicis, better knows as liquid luck. "Care if I join you?" someone asked. My head shot up and my eyes met Lorenzo's. His brown eyes looked patiently into mine.

"Uh- no. No not at all," I stammered, having been taken slightly aback from his sudden appearance. He smiled and got into position next to me.

I had to take a deep breath in order to calm myself. Lorenzo and I had been friends for as long as I can remember. We met at the sorting ceremony on our first day and have been pretty much inseparable ever since. I consider him my best friend and he does me, but as of recently, something has changed between us.

I didn't always get nervous around him, or hold my breath when I looked in his direction. But now it is almost as if everything he does sets something off in me. Every little smile, or every word he speaks makes my head spin and my stomach twist.

Lorenzo reached for one of the bottles at the same time as me, and our fingers brushed. "Sorry," I mumbled, quickly pulling my hand away. I heard him chuckle but he didn't say anything.

I ran a hand through my brown hair, sighing quietly.

Pansy started reading the recipe to us, and we slowly got to work. "So are you looking forward to tonight?" she asked, trying to spike conversation between us.

"Very," Lorenzo replied, slowly pouring one of the ingredients into the main pot. He stuck his tongue out between his lips as he focused his eyes on pouring the exact amount.

I sighed. "As ready as one can be, I suppose."

I heard laughter to my right. "Are you coming to the party?" the source of the laugh asked, playfully hitting one of his friends on their shoulder.

I rolled my eyes. "Wouldn't miss it," I scoffed, glaring at him.

It was Mattheo Riddle, the devil himself.

"I thought you were more into sitting at the library by yourself on Friday nights?" he smirked and looked at Draco Malfoy who was smiling widely to his left.

I sighed and shook my head at him. His stupid comments didn't face me anymore, considering they'd been going on for years by now. "And how exactly would you know that?" I asked and crooked my head to the side. "Have you been stalking me, Riddle?"

Mattheo raised his eyebrows at this and his mouth fell slightly open. He gathered himself. "As if I would spend my precious time on such things." The smirk from earlier reappeared.

I rolled my eyes, glancing at Pansy who found the situation rather amusing.

"Bugger off Riddle. Shouldn't you be at least trying to make this potion to get your scores above zero?" Lorenzo chimed in. Mattheo looked at him immediately, the dumb smirk on his face fading.

"Piss off Berkshire," Mattheo spat and crossed his arms. He turned back to Draco and eventually started doing the task at hand.

I sighed loudly. "Thanks Enzo," I said quietly, glancing at him.