Chapter 4

"Hi," he said drowsily to the lady at the reception, taking an effort to stove his tattered rucksack onto the luggage counter.

"Hello, Theodore," replied the lady, stifling a laugh as she looked at his face. "What happened?" she asked, quickly realizing what she was doing to her guest.

"Oh, nothing," muttered Theo. "Had an art class this morning- you know, face painting class"

"Whoever drew on your face did a pretty weak job," came a voice.

Theo swiveled around.

A boy of about sixteen stood right behind him, clutching a rusty iron suitcase. He was slightly taller than Theo, had a very pale color, but a very bright smile. His curly hair was combed neatly to one side.

"Din," he introduced, sticking out his arm in acquaintance.

"Theodore," replied Theo, taking his arm and shaking it. "Theodore Fernandes."

"Good to know."

"How come you're here, Theodore?"

"My uncle and aunt are on tour, so-"

"what about your mum and dad?"

"well-" Theo hesitated. Why did this stranger seem so interested in his life? "They live far."

"Oh," he smiled, a smile which told Theo that Din had not believed that.

"What about you, Din?" asked Theo, wanting to keep things square.

"My mum died when I was born. My dad walked out on me the day she died."

"Oh, uhm-" Theo was surprised. This story sounded worse than his own. "Well- I'm sorry"

"Oh, don't mind it," he waved his palm awkwardly. "Ah, there's your luggage."

Theo swung the rucksack over his shoulder, and glanced at the token the lady handed him.

'13-B', it read.

"I can take you there-" cut in Din, and grasping the rucksack away from Theo,made his way up the staircase. Theo followed, hesitantly.

Din stepped into a room, and making sure Theo had followed his tracks, shut thedoor behind him. Theo had expected to share a room, but little did he know hewas going to spend the next few weeks with-

"Me!" announced Din. "This is my room. I have lived here for the past-" hecounted down his fingers, deep in thought. "Fifteen years."

"Oh!" said Theo, surprised. "You've lived here all your life?"

"Yeah, well- I spent the first year of my life at my grandma's. She died when I was a year old. So, the town committee decided to leave me here."

"Damn," said Theo, lost for words. "I'm sorry again, Din"

"Why are you sorry, man?" laughed Din, running his hand over his hair. "This isn't such a bad place, after all. I mean-" he glanced at the pile of clothes on the bed and the cleanliness of the room, which looked as though a tsunami had just hit it. "It's home"

"Sure it is," grinned Theo.

"So, how long are you here for?" asked Din, pushing a few old magazines off the only chair in the room, in an attempt to provide a place for Theo to sit.

"I dunno," replied the boy, picking up the magazines from the floor and thrusting them onto the bed. "As long as my uncle is back from tour. Shouldn't take more than two weeks."

"Sit," beckoned Din, and Theo took the chair. It felt good with Din. They sat and talked for a long time- about their lives, about school, the dormitory, the different people living there- and although Din did most of the talking, Theo felt like he enjoyed his company. And although they had never met before, Theo figured that he and Din had a lot in common.

Before they knew it, the sun was setting, and it was only when his stomach rumbled, Theo realized that he had not only skipped breakfast, but had totally forgotten about lunch.

"Want a bite?" asked Din, seeing Theo rub his stomach.

"Sure,"

"Go ahead, I'll join in a moment" muttered Din, indicating the messy bed. "Have to make it sleepable," he grinned.

Theo rinsed his face properly, until the last bit of color had worn off, and made his way down to the kitchen, which was empty for a couple of older boys, who were perched on the rails leading down to the dining room. It was quite dark, and the only light was coming from the distant bulb of the dining area, and from the cigarette protruding out of one of the boy's mouths. This was the kind of scene Theo loathed.

"Where you goin'?" asked the boy sitting on the rail, sticking out a leg to block his path.

"Uh- to eat," Theo stated the obvious. It wasn't received too well.

"Is it, now?" growled a second boy, emerging from the shadows, andgrasping the collar of Theo's shirt.