Battle in the Great Tree

The glow finally emerged, revealing a vine-twisted Hector. The vines lunged at Cassandra and Rapunzel, but both dodged the attack.

"Hector, what have you done?!" Adira looked at her brother, worried for what had taken over.

"All who enter the Great Tree shall be destroyed!" More vines went flying towards each member of the group.

Eugene and Lance sliced the oncoming plants, while Rapunzel blocked the attacks with her hair. It seemed the group was overpowering the evil magic controlling Hector, until he threw the spear he had discovered at Cassandra, causing her to dodge and fall to the ground. 

Vines raced towards her, wrapping her entire body as she struggled to reach for her sword. It was no use however, as more and more tangled around her. The vines continued their destruction, grabbing Maximus and Fidella, then eventually breaching Lance, Eugene and Adira's defences. Everyone except Rapunzel had been caught, but she wasn't backing down.

"Raps, let me get the spear! I think it can kill this thing!"

But Rapunzel wasn't paying attention. Seeing her friends in danger caused her to snap. She started throwing strands of her hair around the main stalk of the plants. 

"Raps, please tell me you're not using that incantation again."

"Cass, it's the only thing I can do!"

"But if I can just reach that spear, I know it will work! That incantation is too dangerous to be used again! RAPUNZEL PLEASE JUST TRUST ME!"

"I'm sorry Cass."

Cassandra kept reaching for the spear, while Rapunzel finished placing her hair.

"I'm sorry...      

Wither and decay
End this destiny
Break these earthly chains
And set the spirit free"

With Rapunzel fully entranced, vines began to degrade. As everyone was set free, they started to succumb to the incantation, just like they had the last time. 

"Eugene go!" Rapunzel yelled, trying to fight the spell that had taken over her body. Lance carried Eugene out.

When Cassandra was finally released, she lunged for the spear, cutting any other vines that were left.

"RAPS STOP!" She reached for her, but the magic was too strong. The moment Cassandra touched Rapunzel's arm, her own burst into a blue flame.

"RAPS WHAT DID YOU DO?! HELP ME!"

The tree's ceiling began to crumble, with pieces falling onto Hector and Rapunzel. Cassandra was writhing in pain, seeing her shrivelled burnt arm, but she couldn't stop trying to get Rapunzel out of her trance.

"PLEASE. RAPUNZEL, SNAP OUT OF IT! YOU'RE ONLY HURTING ME! WE HAVE TO GO!" 

She jumped onto her friend, thinking it would help. Rapunzel fell to the floor, her hair returning to the golden colour it had been moments ago. But Cassandra wasn't as lucky. She had been subjected to the dark magic again, causing her to be ejected over the ledge. This time however, Rapunzel was unable to even attempt to save her before she fell. She hadn't even realized Cassandra had fallen until she heard her screams.

"RAPUNZEL!!!HELPPP!!!"

"CASSANDRA!" Rapunzel threw her hair down, but it was too slow. 

The tree was crumbling in bigger chunks now, almost fully destroyed. Adira raced in to grab her brother, but he'd been knocked unconscious. She dragged him out, but returned to collect Rapunzel.

"Come on princess, we have to go!" Adira reached out her hand for her, but Rapunzel was frozen in shock. 

She could only stare down the place where her best friend had fallen, wishing she could've done more to help, regretting not listening to her in the first place.

"I'm not leaving without Cass!"

"Princess, I don't want to hurt you, but she is very likely dead. That fall and her injuries combined could have only caused the worst . I'm sorry, but we have to leave before we are both crushed!"

"I-I... I cant! She's my friend, she can't be dead!" Rapunzel went limp, not understanding her friend was gone. "I mean... she just can't be..." she fainted as the ceiling finally fully caved in.