A Night in the Caravan

It had been weeks since she had left Cassandra in the tree. The rest of group had carried on, with the tragic event slowly washing away from their memories. Rapunzel still thought of that day, however. Flashes from her best friend calling out to her haunted her dreams. There would be nights in the caravan where Rapunzel would flip through her journal, just to remember the good times between the two. Those were the nights where she wouldn't let anyone in the only bedroom, not wanting them to see her breakdown over and over again of what could've been. Guilt and regret flooded her feelings.

"Why didn't I just listen to Cass? She'd still be here if I had taken her advice... If only I waited and went back to try and save her, maybe I would've found her alive."

She had reached the point of whispering to herself over tears and sniffles, contemplating the 'what-if's' of the situation.

"Why did I just leave her? I had the chance to look! Why did I not try? Why did I get so mad over something so small?! I-i-it's my fault she's... dead!"

She clung to her journal, filling the colourful pages with tears. The images of her and Cassandra were the only things she had left with her, and they were slowly fading due to all the crying.

"Sunshine..." Eugene knocked on her bedroom door.

"You've been in there for a while... and well... it's getting late... and we all kind of want to sleep so....... could you open up the door? Please."

She looked up from her journal, gazing at the door, unable to speak. She didn't want Eugene to hear the hurt in her voice. She flipped between staring at the door and her book, finally deciding to close it. Tossing it back onto the bed as she got up to walk over, she wiped her tears and tried to look like nothing had happened.

"Hey Eugene........ Sorry about the wait, you can come in now." Her head hung low as Eugene crossed her into the room.

"Is everything alright Blondie? 'Cause I know you havent exactly been feeling the best since-"

"No, I'm fine."

"You sure? Because I heard you crying for a moment when I was waiting outside and..."

"What do you mean? I wasn't crying. I already told you I'm okay."

"Are you absolutely sure Rapunzel? I know you, and when you get upset you lays try to hide it. You can confide in me, I won't judge."

"There's nothing I need to confide in you though. I'm perfectly fine Eugene!"

"Well, I just wanted to make sure you were okay, that's all. I didn't think you'd exactly be totally alright after the whole Cass thi-"

"Eugene, I really don't want to talk about it. Please, just accept that! I need time to think and be alone...... I swear once I'm ready, I'll let you know."

"Okay Blondie. But I'm always going to be here to listen to you, so feel free to let out your feelings whenever you want."

"I will, but not just yet. I hope you can understand that."

"Of course Sunshine, I'll give you the space you need. Goodnight." He grabbed Rapunzel by the waist, embracing her in a loving hug. She rested her head in his arms, closing her eyes to soak up the moment.

"Goodnight Eugene."