Chapter 16

Brooklyn for a time with the clan continued to avoid their leader which reminded him too much of Goliath. And the one who he still struggled to talk to the most was Kita. He saw she could hold her own in a fight whenever a robber came into the village which impressed him.

One night, Kita decided to bring one of their gar dog's pups named Siveth to Brooklyn. Siveth was a pretty social puppy who got along with the clan and humans. She hoped Brooklyn would enjoy her company. "Come on, girl," Kita said to Siveth as she led her gar dog to Brooklyn, who sat on his bench by the water again, holding his legs and looking down, ears flat, thinking about Sasha more.

He still missed her terribly, having stone daymares still about her death and was doing his best to keep on living for her like Viktor said. But Brooklyn would never forget the one who pulled him away from that hellish auction, hoping Yegor wouldn't find him here either.

That was when he heard someone next to him and a small woof. "Bronx?" Brooklyn asked, jumping a little but when he saw it wasn't Bronx but another gar beast unknown to him, his eyes rounded in slight fear, backing up slightly on the bench. Kita gave him a smile.

"Hi, I brought my gar dog over to cheer you up," Kita said in her musical voice. Brooklyn gulped, gazing at her nervously, and at Siveth who tilted her head, whining at his scared face.

"She won't hurt you," Kita persisted, petting her ears. "Hoped that a little animal therapy could help."

Brooklyn gazed into the small gar pup's eyes, who looked rather cute. "Her name is Siveth. You can pet her if you want," the gargess introduced. Feeling curious in spite of himself, Brook inched carefully towards the gar dog, who whined playfully, wagging her tail stump.

Brooklyn found himself inching a little towards the gar dog, though still trembling at being in the presence of Kita again. Kita herself seemed pretty tough hence her muscled appearance and not wanting to give up on his mental state. He just didn't want to embarrass himself in front of Kita. Swallowing, Brooklyn reached out with his hand.

Siveth sniffed it, before eventually nuzzling his hand. He couldn't help but give a small smile from that, going to lightly scratch the beast's head.

Kita looked happy that Brooklyn wasn't so sad anymore now that he was petting Siveth. She could see that he missed his own gar dog back in New York. Kai had told her his name was Bronx.

"So... how you were taken away from Manhattan?" She asked carefully, sitting down on the bench with Brooklyn while the red male petted the pup. He eyed her nervously, but soon knew that he couldn't bottle up his feelings forever since it had been nearly a week since coming. Gulping again, he nodded.

"I-I got stolen by poachers. They took me all the way to Siberia, Russia to an animal auction." He replied in a scared voice that made Kita gasp softly.

"I'm so sorry that happened to you Brooklyn. But how did you even escape from there? And your tail?" She stared at his deformed tail again that made Brooklyn's breath hitch and he closed his eyes, tears falling down his face.

"You don't have to tell me about your tail yet if you don't want to," Kita murmured, her hand taking his gently. Brooklyn this time didn't jerk his hand away from her, but found himself welcoming it, Siveth having helped him loosen up a little. He had to tell another gargoyle after telling his two human friends. Shaking, Brooklyn began to speak. "No, I want to tell you," The red male admitted in his sad voice. Ears flat, Kita rubbed his hand gently while he talked.

Taking a deep breath, Brooklyn began to tell her the nightmare of losing his tail. "For one of their threats towards me, the poacher leader that held me broke off part of my tail while I was in my stone sleep." He first revealed. That made Kita's eyes round in horror and disgust. She had been around nice humans growing up here, but to hear about such humans who would do this so horrifically was awful! "Oh, Brooklyn," she said, feeling her eyes moisten.